Dual monitor problems

Ash

Hey all.

I have my PC connected to a 32" TV that I use a monitor. It is connected using a DVI-HDMI cable that plugs into my GTX670 in my PC.
I came across a spare HDMI cable so I decided that I'd plug the PC into my 46" TV so I could play games on my main TV.

Here lies the problem. If I select "Duplicate Display" for the secondary monitor, it makes the resolution for windowed programs on both screens look odd. However, the task bar and icons etc. look normal.
If I select "Show Desktop only on..." and use Windows Key + P to change displays, it only looks wrong on the 46" screen. If I select "Extend Display," again it looks normal on the 32" and wrong on the 46".

Both TVs are 1080p and the resolution is set to 1920x1080 on both.

This is what the screen looks like when I select "Duplicate Display."
monitorerror.png

The right-click menu looks normal, but the Screen Resolution windows doesn't.

This is what the same window looks like on both displays when I select "Extend Display."
monitorerror1.png

As you can see, the screen on the left looks normal and the screen on the right doesn't. The TV reports that is it displaying 1920x1080.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
try using the Nvidia control panel to set the screens up. It will probably work better than windows.

Set them exactly the same through nvidia? so, resolutions you said you did, and refresh rates too? I know it sounds dumb, and im just trying to cover everything, have you tried switching cables, so the HDMI into your smaller one, ? just to see if the reso goes to the same effect as the bigger tv, if you understand what i'm trying to get at ..

Ash

Yeah all settings are the same in the nVidia control panel. Refresh rate, resolution, scaling.. all the same.

Can't really switch cables as my wires are long and complicated and are all tucked away in cable ties.

EDIT: I've fixed it. Windows 8.1 sets the scaling for certain screens sizes. I had to go to "Screen Resolution" and click "Make text and other items larger or smaller" and set all displays to 100%.

Last edited: