DVD/CD drive not showing in device manager (again)

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,
Whilst trying to resolve why all of a sudden my camera "cannot be detected" (it's worked fine every day for the last 12 months) I decided to load Canon's Digital Camera Solutions Disk into the CD drive and the door wouldn't open when I pressed the eject button.
I noticed that the light was permanently on.
I looked in Device Manager and couldn't see the drive listed.
I thought "Oh not again!!!" (I had to have a replacement DVD Drive sent out to me in April and I've only had the computer since January this year!).

I unplugged everything and took the back off to check to see if the leads were connected etc, and they seemed to be (I disconnected, then reconnected them again).

I put the back on, connected the PC up etc and booted up.

This time, the DVD drive light wasn't on and when I pressed the button the door opened. I put the Canon CD in, closed the door and it looked as though the drive was reading the CD, until after a few seconds, the light went out and the CD programme didn't execute.

At least I was able to eject the CD, so the mechanics of the drive seemed to be working ok. I tried a music CD . . . . same happened and it wouldn't play.

I checked the Device Manager and can't see the DVD drive listed, so it looks like this replacement drive has failed after only three months!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions other then to contact the Technical team and request yet another replacement, or have I missed something?

Also, if anyone has any ideas why my camera can't be detected all of a sudden, please let me know . . . . my camera works fine, the USB port it's connected to is 'working properly' . . . so could it be the connection cable from camera to PC???

Many thanks

tom_gr7

Life Serving
go into the bios mate and have a look for the DVD drive.. it should be listed there.

does sound strange though, two drives failing. You could drive a different sata cable in the same motherboard port, to rule out the cable being faulty

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
go into the bios mate and have a look for the DVD drive.. it should be listed there.

does sound strange though, two drives failing. You could drive a different sata cable in the same motherboard port, to rule out the cable being faulty

Thanks Tom_gr7 for the quick reply . . . . . dumb question I know; but how do I look in the bios please?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
On ASUS boards - press delete on startup.

If i remember correctly, go advanced, then boot, and you should see a list of all the drives in the system. Or you may see it on the bios main screen.

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
On ASUS boards - press delete on startup.

If i remember correctly, go advanced, then boot, and you should see a list of all the drives in the system. Or you may see it on the bios main screen.

I did that Tom_gr7, went advanced and all it showed was as follows:

SATA Controller (Enabled)
SATA0 (Port0)
ST1000DM003-9Y
Software Preserve Supported
SATA1 (Port1)
Empty
mSATA (Port4)
Empty

I didn't see anything relating to 'boot'

(by the way, I have a Powerglide Performer 21.5" running Windows 7)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm, well it lists your hard drive.. that would be the ST100DM003-9Y, i think anyway.

I'd suggest giving PCs a call. If its not in the bios, then its either faulty again, or the drive isnt connection/getting powered properly.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
This probably won't work as your DVD drive isn't showing in device manager,but worth a try.
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one.
Close Registry Editor and restart windows.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
on the positive side, atleast its only a dvd drive.. just a straight swap not like a SSD or anything. And good job you bought from PCS :)

Gunston

I don't understand how an administrator can comment here, but have never commented in any of my threads at all.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I don't understand how an administrator can comment here, but have never commented in any of my threads at all.
The forums are not an official channel for support,administrators will comment now and again if they have the time to look at the forums,but they're pretty busy.
Best to give PCS a call when phone lines are open.

mikeduffy

The same thing is happening with my DVD drive. Not showing in the device manager or in the bios. But you can hear the drive is running but not loading. Seems strange that it is happening to the AIO's. I sent my computer back on the 21 st June, it's the 2 nd July now and still not got it back.