Earths energy problems to be solved

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
So basically they just stole my idea for turning Australia (minus the coastal fringe) into one big solar panel...but just took it further! :D

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I saw this too.... looks like one of things we all thing is crazy and 'out of this world' (pun intended) - but in a few years time we find ourselves making it a reality.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
One bit stuck out to me : "Shimizu is reluctant to put a price tag on the construction costs involved"

There's no shortage of renewable energy available on Earth without needing to go to the moon. And plenty of places on Earth where it could be located and not get in anybody's way. The problem is that it costs too much compared to other sources of energy.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hence my Australia idea :)

I read an "article" yesterday about pie in the sky plans from yesteryear about space etc.

One idea early on (before we had even launched much more than a few satellites and a rocket or 3) was to have a doughnut shaped space station that could house 10,000 people! (Master Chief would of course be President).

The only snag was that it would have cost $200bn...which at the time (60s/70s?) was pretty much all the money in the world, and that ever would be printed (or some such hyperbole :) ).

Sight tangent I know, but it just highlights that whatever plan you have, if you try and do it in space, you may as well just start adding 0s to your price.

There is so much more that can yet be done with renewables on Earth as you say Karnor...someone just has to do it :)

kruppsy

Master
That's all well and good...but did you have a man with a quite brilliant tache and burns combo living in your maple and pecan danish?

Because I did.

IMAG0942.jpg