edup wifi dongle not connecting

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
I have a desktop running xp, and have an edup wi fi dongle which was connecting fine, but now isn't.

It sees my network as an available network, but when it tries to connect, there is no IP address from the router.

I have been on the router and can see no connection attempt or request for IP address coming into the router. I have several other devices connected, PC's, laptops, Ipads, printers and phones all connect fine, so I know it's not the router. There doesn't appear to be diagnostic program with the dongle, so any fault finding or network analysis seems pretty limited.

regards Chris

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Gosh, it's been ages since I've had to sort out wifi issues on XP, so this is from (a distant) memory. You need to delete the profile that Windows has stored for your connection, if something in the router changes (password, lease time, etc.) then the stored profile Windows is using is wrong and you won't connect.

In XP you need to find the list of preferred networks, I forget the exact details of how to get to that but you should be able to figure it out. Once you've found that delete the entry for your hotspot and then connect again. You'll have to enter the authentication key (password) again but you should then be fine.

As a general warning it is now dangerous to use an XP machine on the Internet, Microsoft no longer offer security patches for XP and the "bad guys (and girls)" out there are almost certainly targeting XP machines. You should certainly never use an XP machine for financial transactions.