Elite Dangerous - Odyssey on the Horizon

Gavras

Master Poster
Steam have now put Elite Odyssey on pre purchase list.

as a long long time Elite player, this is one I am looking forward to, great if you can still do PVE and Private group.

the latter would be great.

Elite are also putting out updated videos.

Will the Empire get Stormtrooper armour?

Station Assaults and planetary assaults could be fun, Pirate hunting on the ground, seeking out bounties...

Time will tell, however it could be a very welcome addition to Elite (or bomb).

RobSas

Bronze Level Poster
I was one of the backers back in 2013; it's an awesome game on every level but I haven't played it for about 2 years since I got into VFX and 3D modelling. I think my Anaconda is still parked at Colonia...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yep this could be a game changer for Elite.

I would love taking out ground troops with my Corvette main guns.

Although I think they may prevent that.

for thos that bought Elite the other month for free on Epic, then this could be a really good upgrade.
I got it the other month, yet to look at it

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It’s worth getting your Joystick polished up for.

great if you have a nice new monitor.
Only just getting the hang of mouse and keyboard, haven't thought about a joystick yet, I did buy a controller but not worked out how to set it up let alone use it :ROFLMAO:

Harag

Gold Level Poster
I was one of the backers back in 2013; it's an awesome game on every level but I haven't played it for about 2 years since I got into VFX and 3D modelling. I think my Anaconda is still parked at Colonia...

I too backed this back in 2013 and also have a LEP (Lifetime Expansion Pass) too, so Odyssey will be "free", I even went to the opening event and met Mr Braben too. However, I didn't play much after the Horizons release, but recently got back into the game because of the new expansion. Then BAM my 7/8 year old gaming rig died on me, so now waiting for a new beast to come (with a 3080 in it). So hopefully that will arrive before the new expansion.

I'm also thinking about getting the new Tobii Eye Tracker 5 to go with it.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I too backed this back in 2013 and also have a LEP too, so Odyssey will be "free", I even went to the opening event and met Mr Braben too. However, I didn't play much after the Horizons release, but recently got back into the game because of the new expansion. Then BAM my 7/8 year old gaming rig died on me, so now waiting for a new beast to come (with a 3080 in it). So hopefully that will arrive before the new expansion.

I'm also thinking about getting the new Tobii Eye Tracker 5 to go with it.
I haven’t got any experience with the Tobii stuff, but tracking is awesome for these kinds of games. I’ve been using headtracking with ETS2/ATS for the past couple of years and it’s brilliant. I also gave it a quick try on Elite after Epic did a recent freebie and it works just as well there. The only way you could increase the immersion factor is to go full VR.

Harag

Gold Level Poster
I haven’t got any experience with the Tobii stuff, but tracking is awesome for these kinds of games. I’ve been using headtracking with ETS2/ATS for the past couple of years and it’s brilliant. I also gave it a quick try on Elite after Epic did a recent freebie and it works just as well there. The only way you could increase the immersion factor is to go full VR.

When Elite came out I was one of the testers for "EDTracker", which is a 4dof tracking device about the size of a tictac box and sticks on top of the headphones. I still have it and use it for Elite / ETS2 and love it. You can make your own EDTracker for around 40 quid. However, I think the guys who sold it no longer sells them. So if this dies on me (or I have trouble getting it working on the new Windows 10 beast), then I'll probably look at the tobii 5.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
If the eyetracking doesn’t work out, TrackHat is a great alternative. I’m using the wired version of the clip but this is their latest one 👍

Gavras

Master Poster
There are some good and not so good things about head tracking.

Tried various over the years, will likely make a jump to VR at some point.

here are some links for new Elite Players and a bit on Head tracking.

finally TrackIR 5

Harag

Gold Level Poster
That does look kinda fun... you're nominated as our official forum reviewer for that expansion, @Gavras. I'll see what you have to say about it before taking the plunge (y)
I backed the game back in alpha and have a Lifetime expansion pass for it, so will be getting this. Loved the early game back in the 80's+

However, I won't be playing until I get my PC from PCS which I'm currently waiting for (30 days now) -- 5600x + 3080 -- Can't wait for both the game expansion and the new beast to play it on :)