Elite

Karnor00

Bright Spark
While I loved the original way back in the day and it was really advanced for its time, the gaming world has moved on but Elite hasn't. Looking at the list of features proposed for Elite: Dangerous I see that they are exactly the same as the original game.

More planets doesn't make the game any better - the original Elite had 8 galaxies but there was never really any point going beyond the first. Frontier was ludicrously large - with 100 billion stars even if you visited a new star every minute it would take 200,000 years to visit them all (although gives a good perspective on just how vast the galaxy, let alone the universe, really is).

Unfortunately I don't think theres much of a market for these type of open ended games any more. I know that there are people who will love them, but probably not enough to make the game a big success.

Portland

Bronze Level Poster
My life is over if this gets built...

For all you coders out there, Frontier stored the entire game install on a single DD 3.5" floppy, incorporated countless missions, dozens of fully customisable ships, billions of systems and a full Newtonian physics model. If you need 60MB to produce a game to play on a mobile, you should hang your heads in shame :yes:

pr1s0ner

As much as I am excited but this, it seems kinda outta place for a kickstarter. Are they seriously hedging their bets??

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Lol, a little off topic but couldn't help myself ;) ! I met the creater of the original elite and this one by the looks of it the other day, absolutely amazing chap!

And wow...over 200k pledged with a day!

Encolpius

Silver Level Poster
I jonty'd up a wee bit of cash, so I did. Because there's something strangely satisfying about docking with a ginormous space station while "Great Gates of Kiev" plays.