Email woes

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
I have recently been told that my inherited email from a former ISP service is due to be chargeable as I am not their customer anymore. As I have no wish to pay anything further to this shambolic ISP, I am quite happy to relinquish the email account.

I have since obtained another email account, and was wondering if there was a way I can import the emails and contacts from my closing account, to the new one, and also, any targeted emails to the closing address be forwarded to the new. Like a divert, until the new account becomes established.

any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Any kind of divert or redirect would need to be done via the old provider. Ask them.

As for copying emails from your old account, you could archive them with an email client and reupload them to your new account, or use an email client to copy them across to your new email account. Thunderbird will do it, and there may be addons to make it even easier. e.g.

Don't just archive your emails without reuploading them to a new account, though, as Outlook and Thunderbird profiles / local files are notoriously prone to corruption.

Some email providers have features for importing emails from your old account natively. Apparently gmail does.