ENIGMA III quick review+pics

Carlos2297

Hello all!

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for any grammar errors but English is not my 1st (neither 2nd) language!

Lets start with the specs:

Chassis & Display Enigma III 540: 15.6" Glossy FHD LED (1920x1080) (Special Offer)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st Hard Disk Partitions 200GB, 300GB
2nd Hard Disk NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities ENIGMA GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options 1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2011 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£14)
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Mouse LOGITECH® OPTICAL USB MOUSE (£5)
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets LOGITECH® STEREO HEADSET H110 - IDEAL FOR CALLS, MUSIC & GAMES (£15)
Surge Protection NONE
Printer HP DESKJET 1050 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER - J410A (£39)
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee 30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-10AM (£16)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Charity Calendar NONE

Production Dates

Processed Date 16-12-2011
Build Date 16-12-2011
Test Date 19-12-2011
Awaiting Dispatch Date 19-12-2011
Dispatch Date 20-12-2011

Built By Craig Whiteley
Tested By Carl Auckland
QC'd By Carl Auckland
Packed By Anthony Cunliffe

Ordering process:

I decided to purchase the laptop from PCS after reading a lot of good things about this company all over the internet. The ordering process was incredibly smooth even though I amended the order 4 or 5 times even after the pc was built! I actually though that due to the huge amount of changes in the laptop config something would go wrong for sure but I was mistaken, it is exactly what I ordered! As you can see if it wasn't for the weekend I would get the laptop 3 days after I ordered which in my opinion it's just amazing.
The delivery was really great, this morning I got an sms saying they would delivery between 8.37 and 9.37 am and it wasn't 8.50 yet when the door bell rang, the delivery guy was nice and polite despite being in a rush. Excellent service from the courier!

Package:

Because I ordered a printer/mouse/headset the laptop arrived in a huge box, however inside the huge box which was extremely well packed and in pristine condition I found a small box (lapptop size) which contained the laptop plus charger/cd's etc etc. I'll attach a picture of both cases.

IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0595.jpg

Laptop

The laptop arrived fully configured, all I had to do was turn it on, config windows user and activate the windows. The screen is simply amazing, as soon as windows started I couldn't believe it was a simple 15'6 screen, the resolution is perfect and the image is clear and crisp! I bought the dead pixel guarantee but so far I have nothing to report.
In my opinion the laptop is stylish and the only thing I don't like about it is the glossy finish on the top surface, as it is a magnet for dust and fingerprints, apart from that the laptop is quite simple which in my opinion ads to the good visual. The keyboard performs well enough and is comfortable to type in. It came with all the stickers in a bag so you can decide whether to use them or not. It has a numeric keypad on it which is a nice addition.

IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg

Performance

My old laptop was a t9400 core 2 duo, with 4gb ram and an ati3650 with 512mb dedicated ram. It was a good performer but extensive professional use and (I guess) too many rides on the motorcycle case eventually destroyed some of the components. I didn't have much time with this laptop but so far performance is good. From the few trials I did with autocad it performed quite well and is perfectly for what I wanted as I usually game on the xbox. This setup I ordered seems to be really fast and supports a lot of multi tasking. After a couple weeks I'll give a better review about performance.

So far I'm really pleased both with the service and the equipment. The price was quite good for what I got. As soon as I'll have more info about the laptop performance I'll post it!

Best regards,
Carlos Domingos

Last edited:

mart22

Bronze Level Poster
Great review and pics! I'm thinking about ordering a new laptop myself. However, it'd be a outrageous extravagance if I did. Can't quite shake the temptation though...

Carlos2297

Sorry for the late reply.

About the battery I haven't done a proper test but in power saving mode and mostly doing general internet browsing (some videos included) the battery lasted for more than 2 hours for sure, I'll try to do a proper test as soon as I have some time. Compared to my old laptop this battery seems to be much stronger and solid.