Enigma III Reviews?

serp-

Hi, I'm still interested in getting the Enigma III but I'm trying to find more detailed information about it. Could those people who has this machine post up a brief review? Particularly, how's the heating because I've heard there are overheating issues on this laptop but I would like confirmation! ^^

Thanks a lot

Aaran

I'm waiting for mine to arrive.....had the same concerns about the heating issue but couldn't find anything definite in the forums. I've budgetted for a laptop cooler just in case, Targus Lap Chill Mat £17.99 or Zalman - 17'' Notebook Cooler - 220mm Fan - ZM-NC3000S - £33.75, both look good options.

My concern is with the graphics card (GT540M), i've read mixed reviews about it. I just hope that it can handle games on medium settings for a few years. Also I read in the Nvidia forums that there has been a problem with the drivers for it (see google search results for 'nvidia forums gt540m' as below)

GT540m crash and/or freeze with AutoCad 2010‎ - 28 Apr 2011
GT540M issues with new driver‎ - 23 Apr 2011
GT540M HELP!‎ - 13 Apr 2011
GT540M Driver Release Date?‎ - 19 Mar 2011

More results from forums.nvidia.com »

Starting to think i should have saved longer and bought a Vortex II.... Never mind, saved a few hundread plus quid and i'm sure ( i hope) it will be awsome when it arrives.

I'll be sure to review it after i've had it awhile.

vikika

Damn, now that you said there's been a problem with GT540m i started wondering ..... i've ordered the same.....

kyleblyth

Silver Level Poster
I got the Enigma III and yes had a few problems with it. When I first got it the temperature was hitting 96c when playing Crysis 2 on low-med. I haven't had that high temperatures for a bit but it averages about 80c. I was told that the enigma II hits similar temperatures and its only really a problem if it starts crashing/become unstable which it hasn't done once. I haven't had any problems driver based and them problems mentioned i think were fixed with the latest update (don't hold me to that). Apart from that its a really good laptop. I got it with 2630qm and 8gb ram and it is rapid to say the least. I have had problems with a few other things. The usb 3.0 port I think was causing the laptop to blue screen so i disabled the 3.0 function (now operates as 2.0) and not seen any since. Going to try turn 3.0 back on see if it still does it. The bluetooth is also still not working after a few emails and a phone call to the tech teams. The drivers just don't seem to pick it up (Intel 6230) and i know someone else with the same problem. Hope this helps :)

serp-

Thanks a lot, there seems to be quite a few problems regarding bluetooth/usb 3.0. I'm really anxious because this laptop seems the best value for money out there at the moment, and I need a laptop by this month..Would you still recommend it even with the issues?

kyleblyth

Silver Level Poster
i would yes :) laptop was hitting 87c last night playing crysis 2 so i dont think thats too bad lol..It really is a great laptop just want these little problems sorted!

JonnyPx

Gold Level Poster
i would yes :) laptop was hitting 87c last night playing crysis 2 so i dont think thats too bad lol..It really is a great laptop just want these little problems sorted!

I too have ordered the Enigma III with exactly his spec. I'm hoping its good! And yes It was defo the best value for money laptop. Kyle, since it got up to 87 degrees on a very graphically demanding game, isn't that an improvement, when you were saying before it was going into low nineties? Were you just playing it on a desktop or have you bought a fan or something? Ahhh the wait is killing me, its still in pre production!

Frq

Hey

I got mine delivered yesterday, I-7 2720QM, 8 Gb Ram & GT540M 2Gb. As pointed out earlier it flies through tasks, Haven't tried USB 3.0 YET BUT USB 2.0 working fine, windows was pre loaded on system too so no waiting around for a lengthy installation :) Dolphin emulator: tried Zelda Twilight princess and Super Mario Sunshine, runs both at full speed with enhancements, heats up on gaming, Autocad 2011 works OK and is a huge improvement over my old dual core desktop, only slight niggle is deflection on keyboard on entering keystrokes, feels a bit flimsy and that as I'm finishing off my final year project at the moment, that I won't get a chance to mess about with it for a few weeks :) :) :)