Enigma IV battery not charging

puppriss

Hi,

I purchased my Enigma IV with Windows 7 in June this year. I was very happy with it and it was running fine, the battery was charging when it needed to be. Then, at the end of September I took a 12 day holiday, during which time the laptop was switched off, and on my return I noticed that the battery no longer charges to 100%.

Instead, it seems to be stuck on 60% and says "60% available (plugged in, not charging)."

I tried the windows 7 fix here http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/, which seems to work for a lot of other laptop models, but in my case it made no difference. Earlier today, I removed the battery, put it back, powered on. It briefly charged for a few seconds from 59% to 60% then gave up.

Can anyone provide ideas or help?

Cheers!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It may just be that the state of charge of the battery has got out of sync with the Windows battery meter, it's a common problem. To re-sync them (and test your battery) do the following:

1. Switch the laptop off, plug in the charger and leave it on charge for 24 hours. Do not use it at all during this time.

2. Unplug the charger and witch the laptop on. Turn off Sleep and Hibernate so the laptop stays on all the time. Go into Power Options and ensure that the Low Battery level is 10% and the action is notify only. Also check that the Critical Battery level is 5% and the action is Shutdown.

3. Leave the laptop switched on until it shuts down by itself because the critical battery level is reached. You can use the laptop normally during this time, just don't switch it off. If you get more than about three hours of life your battery is fine.

4. Leave the laptop switched off, plug in the charger and charge it for another 24 hours. Do not use the laptop during this time.

You should now find that the Windows battery level is synchronised with the actual state of charge of the battery and reads normally.

puppriss

Hi, thanks, what you say makes sense. Again this morning, it briefly charged up to 60% and stopped.

I will try your fix and report back...

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I will have a dig around at work for a link for the Enigma laptop as there is a calibration program for your laptop to help the system charging, should be able to get back with the link tomorrow.