Enmotus Fuzedrive

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Any opinions on these? Tom's Hardware review says "The company’s FusionX software also allows you to expand your storage volume up to 32TB by adding another SSD or HDD (just one)", does that mean what it says - that I can have a 900GB Fuze and add, say, a 2TB Corsair and the software will integrate it with the Fuze and act as a single 2.9TB drive, giving speed and lifetime benefits?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Any opinions on these? Tom's Hardware review says "The company’s FusionX software also allows you to expand your storage volume up to 32TB by adding another SSD or HDD (just one)", does that mean what it says - that I can have a 900GB Fuze and add, say, a 2TB Corsair and the software will integrate it with the Fuze and act as a single 2.9TB drive, giving speed and lifetime benefits?
Essentially yes.

What it does is sort of "fuze" the two drives together in one virtual drive, and then AI driven software determines what is "Hot Data" that needs fast access and so gets stored on the FuzeDrive and what is "Cold Data" and is stored on the storage drive. But all data will go through the FuzeDrive first, so that's the speed you'll see. The rest is kind of archiving in the background for data you're not currently accessing.

Hybrid drives have always been a little riskier for me, they go back a long way when SATA SSD's started hitting the market they had the same thing but with a SATA SSD cache, then bolted on by a larger storage HDD. In those days they tended to work well initially, but the more data that passed through would slow performance over time, so you had to reinstall windows quite frequently as a result.

These are really enterprise grade drives though, so they may well be a lot more reliable. And the primary "cache" drive is not a small cache partition, it's a full drive size, so that makes it far more usable as well longer term. 900Gb as the FuzeDrive would be plenty for long term main drive.

And on their product page, they've got a quote from Wendell at Level1Tech, I would take anything he says as truth, the guy is a legend, he's the guy that GamersNexus and LinusTechTips go to when they can't work out the answer:

1637358283189.png

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
When proceeding with a configuration, there's an option for partitioning. It doesn't seem to take into account that the FusionX software can merge the two drives into a single volume. Does anyone know if PCS can do this, or do I (indeed, can I) do this myself after I receive the unit?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When proceeding with a configuration, there's an option for partitioning. It doesn't seem to take into account that the FusionX software can merge the two drives into a single volume. Does anyone know if PCS can do this, or do I (indeed, can I) do this myself after I receive the unit?
Here are the directions, may be worth contacting PCS to ask if the configure it for you

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
PCS don't seem to know about FusionX.

"You can run the drives as you wish but you wouldn't be able to merge them, The only time you can do this is with Raid and you would need to have 2 of the same drive."