Epson Stylus 1290 printer. Unknown error

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Worried that this is one 'those' questions...where everyone says 'buy a new printer' but I thought I'd ask...

Q1. Is it really possible to fix Epson Stylus 1290s?
Problem: Both green light (power button) and red light (ink button) are flashing alternately
for the very first time. Will not print.
This happened immediately after two prints using a new replacement T007 black Epson cartridge bought sealed from Inks Limited on Amazon in September last year. Coincidence? I actually think this is a coincidence and the genuine cartridge is ok but...still won't print.

On/off, no change. Windows trouble shooter can't identify the problem.

Swapped back the new for old black cartridge, just to see what would happen, but no change. [It is possible to do this manually I have found].

My 1290S has full power and 'charges' ready for printing but it just won't print. Windows just reports 'unknown error' which is in the Epson manual.

Q2. Okay, what is the equivalent printer to buy in 2021 and how much will it cost?
This printer by the way has functioned since October 2003! I still have the receipt. I keep reading about 'expiring pads' in inkjets. Dunno if this is the problem and nothing to do with the new cartridge. Shrug.

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wow, that's a fairly old printer - not as only as my Stylus 3000 though (although that's been dead and in the loft for 4 years after a CISS system blew up all over it).

However, to your problem...my last printer of that age that came up with the same flashing light combo was due to full waste ink pads (aka reservoir). I bought a kit online and had to replace them myself (and reset the warning).

The reason for this, is that every time you install a new cartridge (and lesser so when you're printing normally), a little ink is pushed through the heads when they come to rest. There's a lot of this when you clean/replace a cartridge, so it might just have been the replacement ink and a couple of prints which knocked it over the limit.

You'd have to find a manual for stripping the bottom off the printer and checking the little sponge pads, and you could probably McGyver something to suit from stuff lying around the house. Otherwise there are/were sellers offering kits last time I looked (I don't bother anymore and just replace the printer every 5 years or so).

At the time (late 2000s) I paid for a little app to do the reset on my machine (Stylus Photo 860 or something), but there may be another way to do it on your model [but only do this if you are sure the pads are not full/overflowing or IT WILL cause a mess]:
  1. Switch off printer with panel switch;
  2. Switch off printer at mains switch - leave off for 20+ seconds;
  3. Hold down roll feed and sheet feed buttons;
  4. Switch on at mains;
  5. Switch on at printer panel;
  6. Continue to hold down roll and sheet feed buttons until both green and red lights flash together in synchronisation, not alternately;
  7. Switch printer off and then, after a few seconds, on again at mains switch;
  8. When red and green lights are both flashing in synchronisation, release the roll and sheet feed buttons;
  9. Press and hold down the ROLL FEED button (the one at the extreme left) and keep it down until the machine finishes whirring, cleaning etc and the green light comes on steady;
  10. Release the roll feed button and all should be well.

As for replacement printers, the only Epson Photo one (other than the professional range) to do A3+ is the XP15000 (Claria HD 6-ink system) which is about £300.

Last edited:

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
HOLY Sheet!

That button hack actually worked on my Epson Stylus 1290S Tony!

🖨️:love: ...it is printing again!

Does this reset the cleaning pad count to zero permanently (or something) OR I am going to find out that I have to do this button hack every time I turn it on?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It should be until the 'cleaning' count goes back to whatever the limit it - so at your usage rate about 2035!

As I said, you really want to check the waste in pads, as now you've got no warning that they're going to overflow and ruin the machine (and whatever it's sat on).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It should be until the 'cleaning' count goes back to whatever the limit it - so at your usage rate about 2035!

As I said, you really want to check the waste in pads, as now you've got no warning that they're going to overflow and ruin the machine (and whatever it's sat on).
Very nice @TonyCarter very nice 👍🏼

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Q. Any recommendations for new basic budget A4 printer?*

The once state-of-the-art A3 Epson Stylus 1290S we talked about here did die some months later. But I was very pleased with the advice here that gave it a life extension.

I inherited a Canon PIXMA MP610 printer in excellent condition :cool: which powered up but then refused to operate with Windows 11.
.....Driver no longer supported. :poop:

So a perfectly good printer is sat waiting to follow the Epson to the local tip.:(

Downgrading this time. Have cables. No need for it to Bluetooth to NASA, see a phone, chat to my car, time how long I brush my teeth, or all the other unecessary gadgets. 🤖

Have a good scanner already.

Last edited: