ESD damage

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I was stupid enough to try and install an m.2 drive without removing the battery on my laptop (on a carpeted floor, to add insult to injury...)
The predictable result is that a spark happened and now there is no power to the motherboard. I can see some circuits in the mobo being scorched where this happened so I suspect I fried it (attached).

mir_20191122_200451.jpgmir_20191122_200520.jpgmir_20191122_200549.jpg

I have raised an RMA to PCS to assess the damage, but worst case scenario I was thinking of selling the usable parts (e.g cooling system, MXM card, CPU) and use the money to get a new one. The drives are all operative so I am crossing fingers that something will be still good. Does anybody know of a good place to resell Clevo parts?

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
I'll do that.
On a - slightly different - topic, what are the chances of the laptop being fixable? I am aware that at least the motherboard will need replacing unless I have been very lucky.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll do that.
On a - slightly different - topic, what are the chances of the laptop being fixable? I am aware that at least the motherboard will need replacing unless I have been very lucky.
I would have thought it would all be fixeable. It's as to weather or not the cost is right for you.

If your GPU is ok, then that's the main bulk of the cost out of the way.

The motherboards themselves are actually a lot better priced than I would have imagined with the quotes that we've seen on other chassis.

Is there any chance you'd be able to update us with the quote you get to fix it? Would be very interesting to see a ballpark mobo replacement on that chassis.

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
Will post it once I get one - when I asked them it would be around 400 for the mobo alone so it depends if the CPU is soldiered or not and if something else got damaged.
Theoretically it is not but I recall asking PCS and they said for my model it is soldiered so I will see.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Will post it once I get one - when I asked them it would be around 400 for the mobo alone so it depends if the CPU is soldiered or not and if something else got damaged.
Theoretically it is not but I recall asking PCS and they said for my model it is soldiered so I will see.
On the Octane the CPU isn't soldered, so with any luck you'll be safe there also.

That's taking it that the Octane in your signature is the laptop in question.

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
It is, yes. Fingers crossed!

To think this all happened due to me trying to fiddle and install an m.2 cooler...go figure how much of a bad idea that was. They fit but with fiddling I got careless and, welp...

Is there a PCS Darwin Award for "careless computer destruction"?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is, yes. Fingers crossed!

To think this all happened due to me trying to fiddle and install an m.2 cooler...go figure how much of a bad idea that was. They fit but with fiddling I got careless and, welp...

Is there a PCS Darwin Award for "careless computer destruction"?
Lols, it's a really painful lesson to learn.
I think you were still unlucky though to actually create a spark, it's really unfortunate.

Fingers crossed they come back with something reasonable!!! :)

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
Yup - PCS courier came today (two days earlier, not complaining here) so let´s hope...
At least my thesis is safe - now I need to figure out where to process the data without frying the computer :D

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
I just spoke with PCs; the damage was confined to the motherboard so only that needed to be replaced. According to Devin - the RMA technician who contacted me - the outward traces were not damaged and the system booted once the mobo was replaced.
The overall cost was much lower than I expected; the part itself is 186 GBP, plus 35 for collection to their facility.
Bottom line: as far as possible, I am quite happy with this (could have been MUCH worse), and the RMA service has been excellent.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just spoke with PCs; the damage was confined to the motherboard so only that needed to be replaced. According to Devin - the RMA technician who contacted me - the outward traces were not damaged and the system booted once the mobo was replaced.
The overall cost was much lower than I expected; the part itself is 186 GBP, plus 35 for collection to their facility.
Bottom line: as far as possible, I am quite happy with this (could have been MUCH worse), and the RMA service has been excellent.
That's awesome! I was really suprised with replacement Mobo costs generally at PCS, most places will charge an absolute premium for the Mobo as it's such a unique purchase to buy one separately and they kind of corner you into paying exorbitant excesses.

I'm really pleased for you!

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
Just got the machine back, seems to be in working order. The CMOS battery is complaining but I imagine that is just the battery of my unit discharging between the ESD/current purge/etc... Also looks that I will need to re-update the BIOS as this motherboard came with the older one, but so far it looks good.

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster
On the original topic, I still need to install that nvme drive and the new RAM sticks.
My house is carpeted (UK...). I was thinking on wearing some trainers (rubber sole) and grounding myself with an ESD mat I got, rather than the "touch metal before computer" method I was using - besides removing the battery this time :D . Am I missing anything?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On the original topic, I still need to install that nvme drive and the new RAM sticks.
My house is carpeted (UK...). I was thinking on wearing some trainers (rubber sole) and grounding myself with an ESD mat I got, rather than the "touch metal before computer" method I was using - besides removing the battery this time :D . Am I missing anything?
I don’t think the issue was static transfer rather than shorting two contacts with the battery still attached.