Ethernet not starting

gorcru

My PC spec:

Case Silverstone SG05B-USB3.0 Mini-ITX Case + 300W PSU
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570T (2.30GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-I DELUXE: Mini-ITX, LG1155, Wi-Fi, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 - DVI, HDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD20EZRX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Power Cable 1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 8 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

My problem is that ethernet will not start up without help after the PC has booted.

If I look in the device manager under Network Adapter, the item Intel 82579V Gigabyte Network connection has an exclamation mark against it. The error is device cannot start (code 10).

If I toggle the Gigabyte Master Slave mode between Force Master mode & Auto Detect the ethernet will start working again. Other network adaptor changes will similarly cause it to restart.

If I look at the Event log after PC reboot, there is a corresponding event error: description for Event ID 24 from source e1iexpress cannot be found.

If I re-start the PC by choosing the Power Restart option, the Ethernet stays working after re-boot, and my bootup time is reduced by 22 seconds. This time is saved between the graphics card text disappearing, and the login screen appearing. On the other hand, if I shut down the PC then restart it immediately afterwards, the ethernet fails to start and the time before the login screen appears is increased.

When I first got the PC, the ethernet started by itself most of the time, except when the PC detected a change such as being moved to a different location, or a bios change. But now the ethernet consistently never starts without help.

I have tried the installing latest drivers from Asus (no difference) and Intel (which does not work).

Any suggestions?