Ethical opinions please!

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I want to use some footage off YouTube for this film I'm making. I have to submit the film tomorrow. I have contacted the people who own the film and have asked their permission, I'm currently waiting for a response. The likelihood is they will allow me to use it. There's a good chance I may not hear back from them in time.

Should I use the footage anyway and credit them as usual.
Should I just not use the footage.
Should I use it and if they do have a problem, remove it - even if it's already been submitted?

I don't really have any other footage I can use, it has to be this one.

Hmm. I suppose the right thing to do would be to wait for permission... but the gremlin in me is saying 'sod it' and to just take the chance.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Whats the worst that could happen? They ask you to take it down?

I would put it up and credit them, its not like your putting up pirate material for financial gain

Keithg

Enthusiast
Depending on how you plan on using the footage there are freedoms within the copy right law for certain uses such as satire.
But odds are that if you are not making money from it or demeaning the clip or its makers you should be fine.

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
But it is strictly against You Tube rules to download any content from their site. See You Tube Terms and Conditions, Part II section 10 and 11

Yamikotai

Expert
But it is strictly against You Tube rules to download any content from their site. See You Tube Terms and Conditions, Part II section 10 and 11
That's true, but this was asking whether it's ethical, not allowed by YouTube :) So it really depends on if you count breaking EULAs to be ethical.

Personally I'd say go ahead.

Last edited:

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
But to discuss the ethics of an action that follows what is clearly a breach Terms and Conditions which you have agreed to abide by cannot in itself be ethical!
So anyone who advises "going ahead anyway" is surely aiding and abetting.

But then don't listen to me, I'm old and cynical:wacko:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Pretty sure like anything, much of these Ts and Cs and EULAs are not actually legal things, so you whilst they could technically ban you or summit, there is nothing they can really do (even if they were bothered :) )

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well, I didn't actually know you weren't supposed to DL off YouTube. But as its been done, used and submitted there's not really much I can do :p

Yamikotai

Expert
But to discuss the ethics of an action that follows what is clearly a breach Terms and Conditions which you have agreed to abide by cannot in itself be ethical!
So anyone who advises "going ahead anyway" is surely aiding and abetting.

But then don't listen to me, I'm old and cynical:wacko:
Only if your belief is that the breaking of laws or agreements is inherently unethical.

Vaguely relevant link that I'm mostly sharing just because it's a decent read - https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/07/the_value_of_br.html