External HDMI monitor via hub not working with USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C)

TomFin

Hi

I just received my new laptop this morning (Ultranote Series: 17.3" with USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C))

I presumed my HDMI Monitor would connect to the laptop's USB-C port using a hub, as it did with my old laptop. Unfortunately it doesn't seem t be working. I can connect other usb peripherals but I cannot get my monitor to work.

The monitor does work when I connect it directly to the laptop's HDMI port (but this defeats the befit of using the single USB-C connection and hub).

Is it simply not possible to output HDMI video from this port. I had understood USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C) did include video.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi

I just received my new laptop this morning (Ultranote Series: 17.3" with USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C))

I presumed my HDMI Monitor would connect to the laptop's USB-C port using a hub, as it did with my old laptop. Unfortunately it doesn't seem t be working. I can connect other usb peripherals but I cannot get my monitor to work.

The monitor does work when I connect it directly to the laptop's HDMI port (but this defeats the befit of using the single USB-C connection and hub).

Is it simply not possible to output HDMI video from this port. I had understood USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C) did include video.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
I didn't know there even was a 17.3" Ultranote... :unsure:

USB-C is just a connector specification, it tells you nothing about the protocols the port supports. You'd need Thunderbolt or DisplayPort using the USB-C connector. It would seem your USB-C port is just a basic USB port.

TomFin

Thanks Ubuysa

Do you think that means that my USB 3.2 Gen 2 type C port doesn't support power delivery either?