Extremely High Temps on Ryzen 7 3700X with Arctic eSports 34 Duo

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

So I recently purchased an Arctic eSports 34 Duo for my 3700X and temps are crazy high at the minute (The lowest I've got it is 56 degrees Celsius on idle.) Is there any reason why the temps are so high, even on idle? Games tend to run at sub 90.

Many thanks

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Duo for my 3700X and temps are crazy high at the minute (The lowest I've got it is 56 degrees Celsius on idle.) Is there any reason why the temps are so high, even on idle? Games tend to run at sub 90.

The most obvious thing I can think of is that the paste hasn't been applied correctly or that there's a sticker or something on the cooler?

Did you ensure that the mating surfaces were as they should be?

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
It could be down to the thermal paste, the heatsink is making direct contact with the CPU however. I've got Arctic MX-4 spare, should I use that and reapply the thermal paste?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It could be down to the thermal paste, the heatsink is making direct contact with the CPU however. I've got Arctic MX-4 spare, should I use that and reapply the thermal paste?
That’s likely what’s missing. Thermal paste needs to be reapplied after any change on the cooler, so if it’s removed, you need to remove the current paste and reapply.

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
That’s likely what’s missing. Thermal paste needs to be reapplied after any change on the cooler, so if it’s removed, you need to remove the current paste and reapply.

UPDATE: So we (me and my mother) took the cooler off, wiped off the thermal paste from the cooler and the CPU, waited for it to dry, applied new thermal paste and re-mounted the cooler. Safe to say that temps are a lot more respectable (Highs of 66 degrees Celsius and lows of 37/39 degrees.) Thanks for the advice guys :)

P.S - We've got an AIO arriving on Monday to see if there's much of a difference in temps.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sounds good.

The paste job between the CPU & heatsink, along with the paste itself, is paramount to good temperatures.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
UPDATE: So we (me and my mother) took the cooler off, wiped off the thermal paste from the cooler and the CPU, waited for it to dry, applied new thermal paste and re-mounted the cooler. Safe to say that temps are a lot more respectable (Highs of 66 degrees Celsius and lows of 37/39 degrees.) Thanks for the advice guys :)

P.S - We've got an AIO arriving on Monday to see if there's much of a difference in temps.
AIO's are amazing, not so much on resting idle temps where you will likely find they're a bit higher than a decent air cooler, but under load, there's just no comparison, they're amazing. IF it's a decent one, the cheaper ones are awful.

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
Sounds good.

The paste job between the CPU & heatsink, along with the paste itself, is paramount to good temperatures.

The thermal paste that came with the CPU cooler felt cheap. But I'm glad I bought some extra thermal paste for these sort of reasons

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
AIO's are amazing, not so much on resting idle temps where you will likely find they're a bit higher than a decent air cooler, but under load, there's just no comparison, they're amazing. IF it's a decent one, the cheaper ones are awful.

It's an Arctic Freezer II 120AIO (That's all my case can house unfortunately) but playing BO4 with the Duo fans installed, the game ran around 59/60 degrees at max settings which I believe is respectable (Had spotify, task manager, StreamLabs and Steam running open as well.)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's an Arctic Freezer II 120AIO (That's all my case can house unfortunately) but playing BO4 with the Duo fans installed, the game ran around 59/60 degrees at max settings which I believe is respectable (Had spotify, task manager, StreamLabs and Steam running open as well.)
Hmmm, a 120 won't be enough for that CPU, I wouldn't install it. You'd need a 240 as a minimum. They're great budget coolers but each fits a certain heat generation, and especially with AM4 you need to keep them under 75c or so otherwise you'll get performance loss on single core boosts.

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
Hmmm, a 120 won't be enough for that CPU, I wouldn't install it. You'd need a 240 as a minimum. They're great budget coolers but each fits a certain heat generation, and especially with AM4 you need to keep them under 75c or so otherwise you'll get performance loss on single core boosts.
So, a quick update. Despite what you suggested (getting a 240mm) I decided to go for a 120 Arctic Freezer II and the temps are REALLY good.* At the moment, with the webpage open, groove music and streamlabs on, I'm currently hitting highs of 37 degrees and lows of 28 degrees.

*I know I'd get better temps with a 240mm+ but my case can't house them. I think in time I will decide to get a new case that'll be able to house bigger rads, but for now I see no reason as temps are really good (at the time of writing.)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, a quick update. Despite what you suggested (getting a 240mm) I decided to go for a 120 Arctic Freezer II and the temps are REALLY good.* At the moment, with the webpage open, groove music and streamlabs on, I'm currently hitting highs of 37 degrees and lows of 28 degrees.

*I know I'd get better temps with a 240mm+ but my case can't house them. I think in time I will decide to get a new case that'll be able to house bigger rads, but for now I see no reason as temps are really good (at the time of writing.)
That's because the CPU isn't being used, under load there's not any possibility that any AIO could achieve temps that low, even if it was a top of the range 280mm Rad.

Ashleyjames98

Bronze Level Poster
That's because the CPU isn't being used, under load there's not any possibility that any AIO could achieve temps that low, even if it was a top of the range 280mm Rad.
I get that, shoulda mentioned that was idle temps. Under load (Modern Warfare at max settings and unlimited fps, streamlabs, groove music and this webpage; temps hit no higher than 64 degrees. It's a slight improvement compared to the 34 Duo (hit around 70 degrees) but as I said, I'll get a bigger case and radiator in time when I can afford it. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I get that, shoulda mentioned that was idle temps. Under load (Modern Warfare at max settings and unlimited fps, streamlabs, groove music and this webpage; temps hit no higher than 64 degrees. It's a slight improvement compared to the 34 Duo (hit around 70 degrees) but as I said, I'll get a bigger case and radiator in time when I can afford it. :)
That is very impressive for a 120mm rad, have to say. I'm a bit taken aback by how good those are for the price.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For a proper CPU stress test you need to run Prime95, that will show you what a proper load on the CPU looks like, I'm not certain the load your putting on is particularly CPU bound.