F1 2010 and other GFWL games

chrisrs2292

so my new pc arrived, and to my dismay, games for windows live just will not work on it.
this means i cant play f1 2010 =[

basically the splash screen loads up then after 2-3 seconds i just get the "this program has stopped working" message and windows tries to close it down, any ideas?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Oddness. Never liked GFWL that much, but it usually works after a while!

1> Restart PC
2> Talk sturnly to it
3> Smash it with a hammer
4> RMA (they might not take it back after 3...)

:D

chrisrs2292

unfortunately after many many attempts at reinstalls, system restores, installing components sperately etc, i decided to give it a go on my laptop and see if it worked. it did.

i'd assume its a windows issue maybe but not sure, gonna have to try and contact tech support, but i'm at work again from tomorrow until friday so wont be able to try things while on the phone. Have a distinct feeling this is going to be a long and drawn out process :'(

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Does owt else seem to be playing up, or is it just GFWL? Just wondering if there was summit else involved it might allow the bods here present to come up with more specific ideas :)

chrisrs2292

haven't tried any other games yet, net had been down most of today so took longer than expected to get that dl'd but as far as I can tell its only GFWL so far. It might just be a .net framework issue so gonna keep trying to fix it

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Things i would try are checking your firewall settings, which should automatically be set to allow gfwl to work, run the program as an administrator, or if you say that your net has been down most of the day then i would do a clean install of gfwl when you are sure that the web service is working correctly and the downloaded client isnt going to be corrupt at all (how is gfwl ever not going to be corrupt.... :)) IF your new pc has bullguard installed then it is pretty easy to check whether this is set to be an exception or whether it is nothing to do with that and if in doubt turn anti-virus off when trying to install gfwl. Also read this thread, and more importantly the comments to it, to make you feel better about your problems...it is a nightmare service; but it should work. http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=8059
Hmmm seemsit might be a games for windows live error their end for a lot of people at the moment....not sure why it would work on your laptop however. http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/errors_crashes/f/268/t/18296.aspx Sorry i cant help with why it crashes mate, it should work fine. Although annoying mine has worked so far but havent needed it since this "update" (not sure when it was) and not sure if this is the same problem. Try and post a report on that website if no joy....should not be anything wrong with your pc aside from connectivity issues or gfwl.

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Long shot, but have you activated your Windows yet if it is a new PC? Maybe that could be it? I'm just brainstorming here :p.

chrisrs2292

thanks for the ideas, but still nothing =/

tried without a firewall completely, turned avast off, ran as admin, re-dl'd gfwl, along with installing it from a game disc, windows is activated and all available updates are installed

i installed curse client last night as that showed up some .net issues on my old pc, and despite seeming to install fine, it crashes when you try to sign in. i know that this came with its own version of the .net framework so maybe the frameworks arent getting installed properly? i also cant get onto windows live messenger, many many error messages and then once they all dissapear, the log in button doesnt work =/

NilSatis

Bright Spark
What sort of error messages are you getting on Windows live messenger? Did you connect your laptop via the same internet connection when gfwl worked? Have a check in Windows to see the sort of errors were produced when gfwl didnt work; on the event log (system and security; adminstative tools)? Do they point to anything? If the .net framework is not getting installed properly then have you tried reinstalling? The latest version is 4; but if you didnt have it/3.5 you would be getting specific errors. I take it you have the latest version of flash on your machine? Check out this page for possible things going wrong with gfwl......http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Support/Pages/ogctechnicalIssues.aspx and sign in problems on that same page is also possibly handy. Good luck, bit of a weird one....but arent they always!

chrisrs2292

it was just a load of error messages about missing dll's, rang pcs yesterday anyway and decided it was a good idea to attempt a clean install of windows. worked fine after that. i still think it was a .net framework issue cos i had similar problems on my old pc caused by unstable ram >.> but seems alright atm. wish games would just give up using gfwl, dont see why i need to use it when i'm running from steam =/

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Thats always the last thing to try and yeh, sometimes the best way.......if you were getting .dll issues then a clean install is a good idea; i sort of thought you might have done that already! Glad its working, and yeh; its both a pain in the ass and a million miles away from the quality of steam. :)