Fan and AIO Profiles in ICue

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I have a 5900x on a ROG STRIX X570 motherboard in a 500D SE case, with a H115i Platinum AIO. There is also a 3060TI in the mix. I am slowly getting the machine set up, installing applications and transferring data from my old PC.

Having never played with fans and pump settings before, I am looking for advice on setting profiles within iCue. Currently, I am just using the stock quiet or balanced profiles. I am not sure what fan / pump speeds I should set and and what temperatures they should change. I will be using the PC for photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop. I will probably add an exhaust fan (LL120) at a later date, once I have had a chance to look around the internals a bit and find out how the 3 LL120s at the front of the case have been connected. Can someone with experience of this give me some guidance?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a 5900x on a ROG STRIX X570 motherboard in a 500D SE case, with a H115i Platinum AIO. There is also a 3060TI in the mix. I am slowly getting the machine set up, installing applications and transferring data from my old PC.

Having never played with fans and pump settings before, I am looking for advice on setting profiles within iCue. Currently, I am just using the stock quiet or balanced profiles. I am not sure what fan / pump speeds I should set and and what temperatures they should change. I will be using the PC for photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop. I will probably add an exhaust fan (LL120) at a later date, once I have had a chance to look around the internals a bit and find out how the 3 LL120s at the front of the case have been connected. Can someone with experience of this give me some guidance?
So the quiet profile is pretty much useless and should be avoided generally. This setting is generally not enough to keep the CPU within normal thermal limits and you'll lose out on boost clocks.

Fan wise, the stock settings are normally pretty reliable for performance vs noise.

The lower the running temps, the better the boost clocks to a point, so you want the fastest pump speeds / fans speeds without causing you bother with noise.

It is just a case of trying it out for yourself and seeing what works best for you.

But the H115i Platinum is a fantastic cooler for that CPU, will do you proud.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ll agree with all of the above from @SpyderTracks.

I’m running a 3800X with a H100i and it’s left on balanced for both pump and fans 90% of the time. My system uses aren’t that CPU intensive so I’ll only crank it up if I know I’m doing a task that’ll be hammering the cores or if I’m benchmarking.

Ash_

Master Poster
I run my pump at extreme and my fan’s at 1400rpm which is relatively quiet, similar to having a normal fan on in the summer or so. Keeps my temperatures nice and out of any danger zone. It is rare for my cpu temps to go above say 60 in warzone or 45 in a game like football manager. It also maintains 45 degrees in timespy benchmarks.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I run my pump at extreme and my fan’s at 1400rpm which is relatively quiet, similar to having a normal fan on in the summer or so. Keeps my temperatures nice and out of any danger zone. It is rare for my cpu temps to go above say 60 in warzone or 45 in a game like football manager. It also maintains 45 degrees in timespy benchmarks.
Am I right in thinking you’re a 5800X owner? From what I’ve read that chip puts out a fair bit more warmth in comparison to my 3800X. Is that why you run the pump at extreme or is that just user preference on your part?

Ash_

Master Poster
Am I right in thinking you’re a 5800X owner? From what I’ve read that chip puts out a fair bit more warmth in comparison to my 3800X. Is that why you run the pump at extreme or is that just a preference on your part?
I am 5800X yes and i run it at extreme as it makes the exact same amount of noise, just the slower it runs, the higher pitched it is. 1400rpm is loud enough to drown out the sound of the pump though.

I must add though... i have a H150i cooling my chip and my fans are ML, so for the same performance, i would expect the LL fans and H100 to be a bit noisier - i would still consider mine very quiet though. I find it easier to block out a consistent sound, than the fan curve constantly changing, which reminds me... with fans set to quiet, my 3070’s fans constantly stop and start and it’s super annoying.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I am 5800X yes and i run it at extreme as it makes the exact same amount of noise, just the slower it runs, the higher pitched it is. 1400rpm is loud enough to drown out the sound of the pump though.

I must add though... i have a H150i cooling my chip and my fans are ML, so for the same performance, i would expect the LL fans and H100 to be a bit noisier - i would still consider mine very quiet though. I find it easier to block out a consistent sound, than the fan curve constantly changing, which reminds me... with fans set to quiet, my 3070’s fans constantly stop and start and it’s super annoying.
I never notice the ML fans or the pump on mine, the constant gentle hum of the SP120s on the case probably drowns out any extraneous noise. You’re potentially likely to be a bit more noise sensitive than me, years of loud music have probably taken the edge off my ability to pick up higher frequency ranges.

Ash_

Master Poster
The cooler master 240 is probably the sort of limit, i’d find acceptable for noise in terms of pumps. My Corsair does sit a good 10db quieter, but i prefer the 37db washing machine sort of noise, to a 27db high pitched squeal from my pump. But when i bought a H100 to replace it, it also made the exact same noise, so i’m either unlucky or... it’s normal for them to make it 🤣.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
But when i bought a H100 to replace it, it also made the exact same noise, so i’m either unlucky or... it’s normal for them to make it 🤣.
If my H100i is anything to go by you may have just got an unlucky draw in the silicon lottery. But you’ve ended up with a H150 so life isn’t all bad 👍

Ash_

Master Poster
So it looks like staying with Balanced is the best bet. That isn’t too noisy. I have avoided the Zero rpm setting.
I actually found that having my exhausts on higher rpm than intake, actually had quite an impact on my temps - i do however have a front mount, so warm air gets blown to my gpu, so getting that warm air out, is more important than fresh air in. It’s worth having a play around though.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
It now appears that the front fans on my 500D SE run flat out when set to balanced, which makes them pretty noisy. Does that seem right?

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Can you just adjust the fan curves manually yourself? Or assign a different profile to those specific fans?

Corsair iCue Guides
I can select the fans individually and set each with a profile. If I select Quiet, the fan speeds slow down. If I select Balanced, the fans ramp up to pretty much the same speed as in Extreme profile and are pretty noisy. I have the pump and fans on my AIO set to Balanced and that seems to work fine. I will look into setting custom profiles for the fans, but am not really sure what speeds to set against different temperatures.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I had a similar issue with 2 of my front 3 fans. But once I had a look at the cables, you could see one fan was attached to the MB directly, and the other two had a splitter.

Had to control those via Asus FanExpert.

The RGB was through iCue, but the speed was adjusted via Asus FanExpert - so I decided to install a Commander Pro so that I could add additional fans, and control both RGB & speeds through iCue.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
My case is the 500D SE which comes with a Commander Pro fitted behind the motherboard. I can control the fan speeds through ICue, as speeds change from the Quiet to Balanced profile. It isn’t easy to track the cabling for the front fans. I am currently running the latest version of ICue 3. I can control the RGB on the fans with ICue.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Setting fan curves manually is a bit of trial and error for what suits you I think @Bigfoot - I personally want my system as quite as possible under normal use so have everything running at minimum speed until the CPU temp goes beyond about 50 degrees - and then I have an upper limit (entirely just personal preference) beyond which my fans run at full speed - which is 80 degrees.

My CPU never actually gets anywhere near that 80 degree temperature - typically staying around 70ish - so I don't see anything more than about 60% fan speeds at any time - which is still nice and quiet.

Here is an example of my CPU Fan curve - it's Fan Expert rather than iCue - but it will give you an idea. NOTE - becasue Fan Expert uses the socket temperature as a reference rather than the CPU package - which really annoys me :mad: - I have set all the curves to 10 degrees less than the numbers I stated above.

I now that's a bit confusing - blame Corsair not me!! It should give you an idea anyway....

1620424259781.png

Stays at min speed till 40 degrees (50 package) then reaches 100% at 70 degrees (80 package) - but never gets above that second blue dot anyway.

Last edited: