Fanless cases?

luksil

I saw a comment from a few weeks ago that mentioned that there were some fanless cases coming soon.

I'm in the market for a mini-pc that I can stick mythbuntu on and use as a mythTV front-end under our living room tv, so a fanless case (and SSD) would be very useful.

Are they in stock yet?

Regards
Luke

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
They're still not in stock - they've been delayed significantly (3 months) now. They are scheduled to be delivered in roughly 6 weeks time, so hopefully they'll be here in time for Christmas.

luksil

Follow up question about expansion slots

That's a shame. I'm still considering the purchase, but the fanless case would have definitely closed the deal.

Looking at the detailed spec for these, I see that there is one PCI-Express slot. Do any of the options in the configurator require the use of this slot or can I bank on it being free to take a tuner card? I'm thinking specifically of the upgrade to wireless-n, but are there any options in the configurator I should steer clear of in order to keep the slot free?

Regards
Luke

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The PCI Express port is not used, but the case is so small that even a low profile card cannot fit inside. The best way to add additional components is to purchase an external dongle. The mini PC's are designed to but ultra small, and make an xbox look big! They're more like an extra thick A5 book! :)