Fans not working using Linux Mint 20 on Vyper 17.3'' with TongFang chassis

danny8518

Hi,

I purchased a Vyper 17.3'' with TongFang chassis recently but have found that the fans don't appear to be working when running Linux Mint 20 so the CPU temperatures are sometimes reaching 60-70 degrees C.

I have a cooling pad which helps and means that on a reasonably cool day the CPU runs at about 50 C (rising to 65-70 C when on video calls).

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this and if so how you managed to fix the issue?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Strontium

Have a look to see if TLP and/or thermald are installed and active. It might be the upper limit for the cpu temps are set really high in the BIOS and neither of these two have been installed.

danny8518

Have a look to see if TLP and/or thermald are installed and active. It might be the upper limit for the cpu temps are set really high in the BIOS and neither of these two have been installed.

Hi STRONTIUM,

Thank you for your reply - that's very helpful. I've now installed those. When I run very intensive processes it sounds like the fans are turning on but they only seem to be running very slowly - or at least I can't feel any air coming from the vents even though I can hear them turning.

Is there a way to increase the fan speeds?

Cheers,

Strontium

I would trust that the fan is working at the correct speed to avoid going at maximum velocity - I hardly ever hear mine on a relatively lower spec Lafite IV i5, it does sound like a jet engine when it ramps up though!

If you do want to increase the base speed you could try and use the bash fancontrol script, which requires lm-sensors to check the temps:

You can check if you have lm-sensors already installed before tinkering with fancontrol by just opening a terminal and typing 'sensors'
I get the following:

BAT0-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 12.99 V
curr1: 0.00 A

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +48.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +47.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +48.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +47.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +47.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

nvme-pci-4500
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite: +39.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +82.8°C)
(crit = +84.8°C)

My existing controls using thermald seem to keep the processor below 70 C and usually 45-55 C. I think if the laptop hit 100 C the computer would crash based upon those settings.
Be careful tinkering with the fancontrol script, maybe just stick with the minimum fan speed.