Enthusiast
Hi guys

Heres my pc spec:
gtx570
quad core i5-3550 @ 3.3ghz
8gb ram
24" IIYAMA E2473HS

Running Far Cry 3 in 1080p

My question is what sort of graphic settings should i be running on this setup? Iv been fiddling around with it but am interested to know what others think?

For those that arent aware here is the settings list for video.

V-sync
gpu max buffered frames
widescreen letterbox
directx
msaa anti-aliasing
aplha to coverage
ssao method
field of view

And video quality

textures
ambient lightinght
shadow
post fx
geometry
vegetation
terrain
water
environment

Im noticing a little 'stuttering' of the shadows when moving, not too sure whats causing this?

Any help much apreciated
Thanks

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Have you tried turning v-sync off? I've heard if you're not hitting constant 60fps it automatically drops you down to 30fps which could be causing a stuttering..

I haven't tried this myself but you could check out the Nvidia website for help: http://www.geforce.com/optimize

From what I read on PC Gamer it's a tool that displays the best setup for your GPU and specific game. Worth a shot?

Edit: Just had a look at that optimize for your GPU. Apparently they don't have info for Far Cry 3 yet. Nevermind. Have you tried turning AA off and on and seeing if it makes any difference?

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
The other thing to check is to see if you have the latest drivers for your GPU from the Nvidia website. I know they had a lot of optimisation problems with Far Cry when it released and have released new drivers since which are meant to help with fps issues.

Everon

Enthusiast
Ok so here are the settings I run with for Far Cry 3 bearing in mind my GPU is a GTX670.

One tip is to run the game from the file :\Ubisoft\FarCry 3\Bin\farcry3_d3d11

I read this allows for better usage of the DX11 engine while playing the game. I do not know if this is true but it works for me just fine and i do notice it runs smoother.

Resolution - 1600x900
V-sync - ON
gpu max buffered frames - 1 (1=60fps, 2=30 fps limit)
widescreen letterbox - OFF
directx - 11
msaa anti-aliasing - OFF
aplha to coverage - OFF
ssao method - HBAO
field of view - default

And video quality

textures - High
ambient lighting - High
shadow - Med
post fx - Med
geometry - High
vegetation - High
terrain -High
water - High
environment - High

The settings that effect performance the most are "Shadows" and "Post FX". Both those settings have a HIGH impact on fps in game. By lowering those two settings you will notice the biggest improvements in your FPS. Also setting SSAO to HBAO will give better results for your fps with little quality difference.

On my setup i managed 120fps with vsync off but i limit my rig to 60fps with vsync on, as i notice no benefit above 60fps and i dont like the occasional gfx tear that i see without vsync.

Try those settings and post back how you get on.

Hope to have helped, Jay.

Last edited: