Faulty CPU Fan (P170EM)

svemin

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone knows what the part number is (the CPU fan of P170EM). I think I have a pretty straight forward problem here, one of my fans has started making a weird noise. It's coming from the fan on the left, under the wasd keys, so I believe it is the CPU fan. It sounds like it is making a noise with each revolution, like something is rubbing/hitting. To me, it sounds like the bearing is going bad. I've noticed that the sound will go away for a second if I lift and tilt the laptop a little, which again leads me to believe it is the center bearing of the fan that is going bad. The sound is most apparent at start up/first hour of use, and sometimes goes away once I start gaming and the fan speeds up, although not always. It's been doing this slightly for the past few weeks, and has gotten louder/worse in the past few days. Moreover, I'm not sure if the fan is working properly, as I cannot really feel any air coming out (the stream flowing out of the GPU fan is very noticeable... I know the GPU is supposed to be much more thermally active, but still, I am somewhat worried). I already took off the back cover and sprayed the fan/heatsink area with compressed air. Some dust did come out, but nothing huge, and I doubt anything is stuck in there. I am thinking I can replace it myself as it seems like it should be pretty simple and I don't really want to RMA the laptop over a simple fan, it's not worth the risk. The thing is I just cannot find the necessary part number, so I can be sure to buy the correct one. Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited: