Faulty unit?

jeziorspz

Hello guys, new here :)

I've just received my MSI Optix AG321CQR and I've been having some issues.

I have noticed that the monitor starts to get very warm. Not sure whether its linked to the temp but the rear joystick then stops responding and I am not able to load GamingOSD as it doesn't recognise that its connected to the PC (although all cables are fine).

I have also noticed a strange issue when changing the refresh rate. Doesn't matter what I change it to or from, sometimes the monitor will itself down to quarter of its size and gets stuck on top right cornet. Everything becomes fuzzy and unreadable. If I disconnect the monitor from PC at that time, whatever is on the screen just stays there as if it was still connected. I have attached a screenshot

There is horrible ghosting on the monitor itself - not sure if usual for the model.

Sounds like a faulty unit but I thought that before sending it through you might have some idea how to solve this? Not sure whether to get a refund or replacement and try again - I need a monitor

Thanks

Attachments​

jeziorspz

Hello guys, new here :)

I've just received my MSI Optix AG321CQR and I've been having some issues.

I have noticed that the monitor starts to get very warm. Not sure whether its linked to the temp but the rear joystick then stops responding and I am not able to load GamingOSD as it doesn't recognise that its connected to the PC (although all cables are fine).

I have also noticed a strange issue when changing the refresh rate. Doesn't matter what I change it to or from, sometimes the monitor will itself down to quarter of its size and gets stuck on top right cornet. Everything becomes fuzzy and unreadable. If I disconnect the monitor from PC at that time, whatever is on the screen just stays there as if it was still connected. I have attached a screenshot

There is horrible ghosting on the monitor itself - not sure if usual for the model.

Sounds like a faulty unit but I thought that before sending it through you might have some idea how to solve this? Not sure whether to get a refund or replacement and try again - I need a monitor

Thanks

Attachments​

Just to add, I have tried different DP cables, different ports, resolutions and refresh rates.

I have added 2 screenshots- one of the ghosting and the other of what sometimes happens when I change resolution and/or refresh rate.

The monitor fixes itself after approx 20-30mins. Sometimes faster if I switch is off by unplugging the power - but then again I can't switch it back on quick since the navigation button doesn't respond for a while.

Attachments

• received_188295990175596.jpeg
    received_188295990175596.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20211128-130742_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211128-130742_Messenger.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 86

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to add, I have tried different DP cables, different ports, resolutions and refresh rates.

I have added 2 screenshots- one of the ghosting and the other of what sometimes happens when I change resolution and/or refresh rate.

The monitor fixes itself after approx 20-30mins. Sometimes faster if I switch is off by unplugging the power - but then again I can't switch it back on quick since the navigation button doesn't respond for a while.
Check for a firmware update.

I think you're expecting a little much from the "ghosting" issue, this is one of the cheapest entry level 1440p VA panels on the market. It's also over 2 years olf now. VA inherently suffer from ghosting, it's why they're so cheap, it's not something you can work around, it's a hardware limitation.

You'd have to increase your budget significantly for a full IPS to lessen the ghosting.

jeziorspz

Check for a firmware update.

I think you're expecting a little much from the "ghosting" issue, this is one of the cheapest entry level 1440p VA panels on the market. It's also over 2 years olf now. VA inherently suffer from ghosting, it's why they're so cheap, it's not something you can work around, it's a hardware limitation.

You'd have to increase your budget significantly for a full IPS to lessen the ghosting.

I guess maybe I am expecting a bit too much but having the brightness a bit lower so, blacks are grey - the ghosting or stretching is just too much to handle.

I have the most recent firmware for the monitor, I also took the chance to reinstall the OS the same day I got the monitor so, there shouldn't be any other program interfering.

Its very strange as the bottom of the monitor gets quite hot which I read is quite normal for 1440p displays. When this happens, the navigation button stops working and the PC no longer recognises the monitor though USB.

Another strange thing is, when I turn the system off, whatever is on the screen just stays on the monitor without any input actually going in

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Another strange thing is, when I turn the system off, whatever is on the screen just stays on the monitor without any input actually going in
That sounds like a hardware issue then.

I don't think the ghosting is anything unusual, it's a very budget monitor, it's entirely normal.
Its very strange as the bottom of the monitor gets quite hot which I read is quite normal for 1440p displays. When this happens, the navigation button stops working and the PC no longer recognises the monitor though USB.
What do you mean through USB? You mean the USB pass through to the monitor disconnects?

jeziorspz

I don't think the ghosting is anything unusual, it's a very budget monitor, it's entirely normal.
I guess... I have previously experienced ghosting but not to this level where text on black background is just smeared all over when scrolling. (I guess the corona effect)

What do you mean through USB? You mean the USB pass through to the monitor disconnects?
Not sure what its actually called.
I can connect the monitor though USB to the PC and then control the monitor settings through GamingOSD instead of doing it on the screen itself. - I thought that I would be able to work around the navigation button not responding when temp rises but as soon as that happens, the PC stops recognising that the monitor is connected through USB

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I can connect the monitor though USB to the PC and then control the monitor settings through GamingOSD instead of doing it on the screen itself. - I thought that I would be able to work around the navigation button not responding when temp rises but as soon as that happens, the PC stops recognising that the monitor is connected through USB
Oh, that's pretty cool, didn't realise monitors had that facility.

Definitely sounds like a hardware issue then.

jeziorspz

Its gotta be said on my 1440p whilst the bottom of the monitor is slightly warmer than the top its nowhere near hot
Yes although it has me wondering whether it's either a faulty unit or bad design overall. Although its warm at the bottom which isn't an issue itself, the screws holding the panel are really hot as if you could almost burn yourself touching them.
When this happens, the navigation button/stick which is also the power button stops working. This has me thinking that the unit itself is overheating.

Oh, that's pretty cool, didn't realise monitors had that facility.

Definitely sounds like a hardware issue then.
Apparently so. I had a good play around and its very useful because you have to torture yourself with the little joystick you have at the back.

I will return it to the dealer and get a replacement. If any of these issues reoccur I will take a pass on it. However, I have to say that I haven't seen any negative reviews about this monitor and not a lot of reviews for it in general.