favourite gaming moment?

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
came across this thread

so, out of interest, does anyone have a favourite gaming moment, i.e. an achievement, or particular level, character or general scenario? dont necessarily mean favioute game, more of a favourite moment within a game.

homers would be competing every level on hitman 1 (2016) on max difficulty, bioshock in the opening scene when the plane crashed and on fire and you had to swim out the water, seeing that in HD for the first time was pretty cool and I would also add gta vice city 2002, the music and also the general vibe felt pretty cool. also, fallout 3 scene where you leave the vault for the first time, this was on the thread but that moment was cool.

ill add @ActuallyDenz to this as, well with the size of collection

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This bit in the original Max Payne game just blew my mind. This was released back in 2001

The lead up to it, Max has taken a dose of Valkyr to stop him from dying which is the drug he's chasing the dealers and makers to try to find his wife and baby's killers.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Considering I started playing video games in 1990, it really would be impossible to pick out just one moment, so there is a list incoming (will also try and include an image or footage to further illustrate my point. I have no idea how long this is going to be, but I'm going on a nostalgia trip. In no particular order

Fallout 2 was my favourite game ever for a long time, and I was a little unsure about the series' move to 3D, but on leaving Vault 101 for the first time and seeing the Capital Wasteland stretching out in front of you, that was pretty cool. The subsequent games have had similar moments, but that first one in Fallout 3 will always be special as it was the first time it was done in the series.

Super Mario Land on the Gameboy was the first game that I ever fully completed and was obviously before achievements were a thing, but that'd be the first game I ever 100% if they had been a thing in the early 90s.

The Yakuza/Like A Dragon series are absolutely batpoop crazy and I wouldn't change anything about them. The first game in series that I played was Yakuza 0 which is a prequel set in the 1980s and features two playable characters. One of the side activities is karaoke and Majima's performance of 24-hour Cinderella is truly a thing of beauty. If this video doesn't persude you to consider giving the series a go, nothing will!

The first time you defeat a dragon in Skyrim felt incredible. Dragons are always portrayed as being almost unstoppable in legends and so to be playing a character who can beat them fairly early into the game is a special feeling.

The lead into the title sequence of Assassin's Creed II was the moment I truly fell in love with the series. The camera zooms out to a wide shot of Florence and the AC2 theme kicks in. It's a beautiful moment and really sparked a sense of wonder and intrigue about what the game was going to throw at me. It did not disappoint at all!

The big reveal in Bioshock has to be one of the most iconic moments in all of gaming.

It seems that only five videos can be linked in the one forum post, so I'll perhaps leave this here. I may do a further post (or three!) if I feel like it tomorrow!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Considering I started playing video games in 1990, it really would be impossible to pick out just one moment, so there is a list incoming (will also try and include an image or footage to further illustrate my point. I have no idea how long this is going to be, but I'm going on a nostalgia trip. In no particular order

Fallout 2 was my favourite game ever for a long time, and I was a little unsure about the series' move to 3D, but on leaving Vault 101 for the first time and seeing the Capital Wasteland stretching out in front of you, that was pretty cool. The subsequent games have had similar moments, but that first one in Fallout 3 will always be special as it was the first time it was done in the series.

Super Mario Land on the Gameboy was the first game that I ever fully completed and was obviously before achievements were a thing, but that'd be the first game I ever 100% if they had been a thing in the early 90s.

The Yakuza/Like A Dragon series are absolutely batpoop crazy and I wouldn't change anything about them. The first game in series that I played was Yakuza 0 which is a prequel set in the 1980s and features two playable characters. One of the side activities is karaoke and Majima's performance of 24-hour Cinderella is truly a thing of beauty. If this video doesn't persude you to consider giving the series a go, nothing will!

The first time you defeat a dragon in Skyrim felt incredible. Dragons are always portrayed as being almost unstoppable in legends and so to be playing a character who can beat them fairly early into the game is a special feeling.

The lead into the title sequence of Assassin's Creed II was the moment I truly fell in love with the series. The camera zooms out to a wide shot of Florence and the AC2 theme kicks in. It's a beautiful moment and really sparked a sense of wonder and intrigue about what the game was going to throw at me. It did not disappoint at all!

The big reveal in Bioshock has to be one of the most iconic moments in all of gaming.

It seems that only five videos can be linked in the one forum post, so I'll perhaps leave this here. I may do a further post (or three!) if I feel like it tomorrow!

fallout 3 opening was really cool,

really cool post, (y)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My favourite moment/memory was on an arcade game in the very late 80s called ‘Legend of Tonma’.

It was the first arcade game I completed, which gave another game free in a ‘new game plus‘ way with all the upgrades you’d earned.

It was difficult to win initially because each time you lost a life you had to continue without all the upgrades you’d gathered…and some levels were impossible without one or two upgrades as you just couldn’t beat the level boss without more firepower.

After a few weeks of playing it at an arcade, I had learned the scripted sections and could preempt off-screen attacks, and those coming from behind. But still needed to ensure I didn’t mis-step and lose my upgrades.

A single game probably took 15-20 mins, but once I’d learned it a single 2x10p could keep me busy for half the day.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I played entirely too much Time Crysis 2 growing up, I could beat the game without getting hit from the Red side. That was always a fun £1 in the arcade

Ekans2011

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Growing up in the golden age of LucasArts adventures and the first football management games.

A typical day: school, lunch, homeworks (occasionally :LOL:), and the 11 floppy disks required to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Amiga 500).

Unforgettable memories, such as the first arcade game played and never completed: Double Dragon :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Growing up in the golden age of LucasArts adventures and the first football management games.

A typical day: school, lunch, homeworks (occasionally :LOL:), and the 11 floppy disks required to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Amiga 500).

Unforgettable memories, such as the first arcade game played and never completed: Double Dragon :)
I was hooked on the original Mortal Kombat arcade games, they had one in the break room at college, I certainly wasn't going to lessons so spent a lot of time in there.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
to be fair it be cool for arcades to be bought back, if nothing else they have the face to face sociable element that online gaming lacks

steaky360

to be fair it be cool for arcades to be bought back, if nothing else they have the face to face sociable element that online gaming lacks
There's at least one bar come Arcade up in Aberdeen. Quite a good idea in my opinion but very dangerous when out on the sauce with card operated arcades :D

There are others I've seen (elsewhere admittedly) where you pay entry and all the machines are on 'free play' which I kind of find a bit more appealing I think. Although in theory you can 'cheat' a little by just keep adding coins (free play so doesn't cost anything).

Hopefully they'll pop up more and more.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There's at least one bar come Arcade up in Aberdeen. Quite a good idea in my opinion but very dangerous when out on the sauce with card operated arcades :D

There are others I've seen (elsewhere admittedly) where you pay entry and all the machines are on 'free play' which I kind of find a bit more appealing I think. Although in theory you can 'cheat' a little by just keep adding coins (free play so doesn't cost anything).

Hopefully they'll pop up more and more.
We've got one of the single-entry price places in Liverpool (called ArCains, but to it being an Arcade in the old Cains brewery) - but I'd say 95% of the machines have one fault or the other, ranging from buttons not working, flippers not working, joysticks not working, sound not working, etc...but you just move onto the next machine and see if that works (enough) instead.