Finger Print Reader - Not working on reboot?

phitol

Bronze Level Poster
This is on a new Defiance V laptop.

A bit of a minor yet odd issue that I might contact PCS support about, but interested if anyone has heard of this before.

As you do, you get the laptop setup perfectly, check it's get good performance etc, play a few games, then you start looking at the other features that came with it!
I've only just enabled Windows Hello to use the finger print reader, and even gone as far as registering multiple fingers etc. Once I set up a fingerprint, I can lock the laptop (Windows + L) and then from the lock screen, I can get back in to windows fine with a finger print. However, if I reboot the laptop, every time it just says the finger print isn't recognised, I've tried multiple times but it seems the only way to get it working again is to register another finger print (well it removes existing prints, then you add more).

Things I've tried
- Registering different fingers - same effect, works until rebooted
- Registered multiple fingers - same effect, works until rebooted
- Used the default windows found driver (Win 10 - 1903) to no avail
- Tried the PCS Downloads version to no avail
- Tried a Clevo drive (direct from Clevo) to no avail.

Bastet

Silver Level Poster
For me it’s hit & miss as to whether the fingerprint reader works or not. I’ve even found that my print can work in the Morning but later the same day it fails.

phitol

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, a bit of a shame if it doesn't work, you pretty much get used to it with your phone, and saves you typing in long passwords etc..

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I have no idea why but if you turn off Fastboot I find it works everytime.

I had exactly the same issue, it would work after restart but not after a "Shutdown" then switch on. Fastboot seems to cause a number of issues so I always switch it off. You shouldn't really notice it if you are using a reasonably fast SSD anyway.

dunsad

Yep, I've had this issue on the Defiance V too, the recognition is very ropey compared to my Huawei mobile that works first time every time.
Think I'm gonna try and use my big toe instead :p

darrey

Is this still an issue. I'm getting the same that if I reset my fingerprint it works, then after reboot, it no longer works. I have disabled fastboot but that hasn't fixed it.

wills

You could try this it seems to have worked for me:
go to device manager>biometric devices>Synaptics XXXX>update the driver
then under power option uncheck 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Bastet

Silver Level Poster
It’s still an issue for me.
Driver already up to date.
I’ll check that setting though.