First Build

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Decided to dip my foot into the world of PC gaming. Just wondering if anyone can check the spec below for me.
I will be mostly using for gaming maybe streaming and editing. I currently have an ultra wide 144hz 1440p monitor and will eventually get a 4k monitor to go along side it.

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
3080 ROG Strix
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
2nd M.2SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
Standard
Sound Card
Standard
Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AX58BT Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) 2400Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - 3 User, 1 Year
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
I'm also planning on replacing the two front fans for 3x corsair 140mm rgb as not too keen on cooler masters. This shouldn't be a problem though?

Also I wasn't sure about the wireless/wired option. It says the motherboard has WIFI yet I still have to select one of those options? Nether the less I selected what seemed to be the best option as I only have access to a public WiFi with no access to the router during the week (live in barracks). Again any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I'd up that PSU first of all, it's a little too low for the 3080 :) I'll let everyone else comment on the rest, I usually get it wrong lmao

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
I'd up that PSU first of all, it's a little too low for the 3080 :) I'll let everyone else comment on the rest, I usually get it wrong lmao
Really? I selected the 850w before but I got the notification come up telling me that was way more than I needed.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
1600481520845.png

This is for the Founders Edition but I can imagine it has the same power drawage (or very similar) for other branded cards. I'd go for the 750W minimum, but 850W to be safe :)

D

Deleted member 17413

The minimum for the 3080 appears to be 750W, so a 850W would be a better option, just to allow it to fit comfortably.
The 3070 would probably be a better choice though, given your monitor, a 3080 would be more 4k ultrawide rather than 1440p ultrawide.
These cards basically up a resolution in terms of capacity, looking at the reviews coming out.

Putting the GPU aside, I would still tweek a few bits. 3800XT CPU, RAM to 16GB 3600MHz, Strix 570X motherboard, 1TB Firecuda drives rather than Samsung and the AX200 WiFi not the Asus.

Whats your budget? And the 4K monitor you are thinking of, would you be looking at 60Hz or 144Hz?
Did you pick the case because you really liked it or?

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
The minimum for the 3080 appears to be 750W, so a 850W would be a better option, just to allow it to fit comfortably.
The 3070 would probably be a better choice though, given your monitor, a 3080 would be more 4k ultrawide rather than 1440p ultrawide.
These cards basically up a resolution in terms of capacity, looking at the reviews coming out.

Putting the GPU aside, I would still tweek a few bits. 3800XT CPU, RAM to 16GB 3600MHz, Strix 570X motherboard, 1TB Firecuda drives rather than Samsung and the AX200 WiFi not the Asus.

Whats your budget? And the 4K monitor you are thinking of, would you be looking at 60Hz or 144Hz?
Did you pick the case because you really liked it or?

Morning and thanks for the reply.

I would probably be getting a 4k monitor a bit later on i travel from work to home on weekends. Would probably bring the desktop PC with me on holidays (Xmas,summer etc). If I end up working/living in a space that allows for 2 monitors at a time then most likely I will use them in conjuction together.

Can I ask why the changes on the ram and motherboard and the ssd's?
The WiFi card after researching that the one I selected was the best?
From time to time the WiFi can be a bit bad on the the different barracks I move to and as I say I have no physical access to the routers/wifi hub as their can be up to 7 people in the same corridor/flat using their devices at the same time. But if it makes no difference I will get that changed.

I went for the case as that's the only one that appealed to me other than the Corsair Crystal 650, but that is quite chunky leaving me with less desk space.

Forgot to mention budget is 2200 the 4k monitor will wait till black Friday or year after and not included in the budget as of yet.

Last edited:

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Just for information: The Crosshair Motherboard PCS supply is, I believe, the non-Wi-Fi capable variant...despite the picture in the specs showing the Wi-Fi variant board. You will need a Wi-Fi card and the AX200 is the best card in terms of speed versus price
Does that mean no blue tooth on that board?