Flash Drive Recommendations

B Poot

Bronze Level Poster
It's often recommended to do the occasional clean install of Windows (once or twice per year). For this, Microsoft recommends a USB flash drive of at least 8GB. I have never had too much trouble with flash drives, but I wanted to get a good one for keeping my PCS desktop (when I get it) up to scratch over the coming years. I made the mistake of reading too many online reviews and it seems that people have problems with most brands failing. It can be difficult knowing who to trust.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for USB flash disks? For me, the faster the better, but reliability is also important. I have tended towards Sandisk Extreme in the past, but these seem to be falling out of favour - maybe I'm reading the wrong sites for reviews.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My recommendation honestly buy like 4-5 very very cheap ones, they are all inconsistent so it's better to have data stored on multiple

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I buy them as and when needed. They don't last forever and 8GB drives are as cheap as chips. See them as consumables rather than a long-term device.

I generally buy a pack of four or so 16GB drives every year or so. Mind you, I use them to share stuff with friends and rarely get them back!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh dear… you posted on a public forum, big brother is watching and they have of course dispatched RoboCop.
I've been retired over a year, in fact i think it originally came from one of the consultants we used to deal with, and knowing them they acquired it 😂

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I buy the cheapest possible drives because I can guarantee that I will lose them within hours of putting data on them. Brightly coloured is also a good plan for the same reason.