Flashing screen

johglo

I have an issue where the screen is continually flashing. Unable to access anything except cntrl alt delete for task manager. Tried closing the nvidia tasks but screen still flashes. I have tried a system restore from recovery disk but this did not solve it. I can boot into safe mode but the flashing continues.

PC was running fine until I tried to view Fuji camera XT30 raw files.
Any ideas or suggestions please.

John

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If the screen is flashing in safe mode it's most likely the screen. Can you try a different monitor?

johglo

I have plugged the monitor into my laptop to test it, works fine. Removed the GPU nividia 1070ti as per the techs instruction and its still a flashing screen, looks like it needs to go back sadly.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have plugged the monitor into my laptop to test it, works fine. Removed the GPU nividia 1070ti as per the techs instruction and its still a flashing screen, looks like it needs to go back sadly.
Ok., so it's not the monitor.

You say it was fine until you 'tried to view Fuji camera XT30 raw files'. Was that the first time that camera had been plugged inton this PC? Did Windows install a driver when you plugged in the camera?

You say that you've tried a system restore and that didn't help. Before even thinking about sending it back you need to try a clean install of Windows. Boot the installation media, choose a custom install, delete all the partitions on your system drive (there will be four of them) so that it all shows as unallocated space, select that unallocated space (so it's highlighted) and click Next. The installer will allocate the required partitions and install Windows. After Windows is installed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. This will (should) install all the right drivers too.

Don't plug you camera in just yet but see how the system behaves in that pristine state for an hour or so, if you don't get the flashing problem then plug in the camera and view the RAW image files again. See what happens....

johglo

Hello,
I have now done a clean install of windows and the problem is now fixed. I would like to thank you for your help and responses.

Its minimal data loss as most stuff was backed up, so only really non critical stuff which I can recover with some effort,time and beer.

Once again many thanks

John Glover