Flypast (Introduction) - Negative Ghostrider, The pattern is full .... \-]->

Ghostryder

Hi folx, I'm an old head coming back to the IT world. Initially started in IT back in 2001 doing my NC and on to my HNC and by 2003 I was sent off to war in Iraq and didn't get to finish my HNC. Since then I've worked in banking and currently a Commercial Gas Engineer. Unfortunately lugging around a toolbox all these years has taken a physical toll and now I'm coming back to Easy Strasse' (easy street for the non military people out there). Ok, I know it's not easy and I'm considering myself as a total noob again to the Industry. I have a book being sent out to me just now on COMPTIA A+ to get my head around the basics again and then I'm looking to expand further into Networking, Web Design and Dreamweaver. If there are any hints, tips, advice or even offers of work, I am officially Dumbo, (All ears).

In my rare spare time when I am not being pestered/hounded by family and friends to fix their boilers or heating issues, I am often found coaching football, hillwalking or following Formula 1.

If you see me online consider the pattern full and my Flypasts will proceed.

Ghostryder

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello Ghostryder and welcome!

Another F1 fan here too, looking forward to the Silverstone double header. :)

Ghostryder

Hi Ubuysa,

Yes the Silverstone double header looks like it will be great this year, I think it's all about Hamilton again, he is the one to beat but Mercedes have been almost flawless in their strategy and teamwork. I do like Max Verstappen, he has a set of cohune's on him and is a fair driver. Hammy is just that cut above these guys at the moment. However all good things do eventually come to an end and his time in the sun will eventually end, not without plenty drama between now and then I hope. :cool:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi Ubuysa,

Yes the Silverstone double header looks like it will be great this year, I think it's all about Hamilton again, he is the one to beat but Mercedes have been almost flawless in their strategy and teamwork. I do like Max Verstappen, he has a set of cohune's on him and is a fair driver. Hammy is just that cut above these guys at the moment. However all good things do eventually come to an end and his time in the sun will eventually end, not without plenty drama between now and then I hope. :cool:
We'll have to disagree about Max. There's no doubt of his huge talent but his arrogance and sense of entitlement is too much for me. His dad clearly spoiled him - he bought an entire karting team so his boy would havd people to race against for example. I'm not a particular fan of Christian Horner either! :)

Ghostryder

We'll have to disagree about Max. There's no doubt of his huge talent but his arrogance and sense of entitlement is too much for me. His dad clearly spoiled him - he bought an entire karting team so his boy would havd people to race against for example. I'm not a particular fan of Christian Horner either! :)
It's maybe just me mate, I do like a bit of arrogance in sport, it shows a desire to be a winner, I do like that. I like Christian Horner, he tells it as it is and his missus ain't too bad ;-)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Very welcome! Good to have you. I’d second the free MS courses which they’ve done to help people being hit hard by the pandemic to help retrain:

There are also free Cisco courses for networking:

I would strongly suggest getting acquainted with cloud stuff also which combines basic IT and networking, everything is moving that way, even networking will be virtual within a few years.

Loving the movie references !

Ghostryder

Very welcome! Good to have you. I’d second the free MS courses which they’ve done to help people being hit hard by the pandemic to help retrain:

There are also free Cisco courses for networking:

I would strongly suggest getting acquainted with cloud stuff also which combines basic IT and networking, everything is moving that way, even networking will be virtual within a few years.

Loving the movie references !
Thanks for the advice and the links, I'm looking into doing Cloud management as well, it was just a wee bit further down the list of my to do list. I appreciate the info.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks for the advice and the links, I'm looking into doing Cloud management as well, it was just a wee bit further down the list of my to do list. I appreciate the info.

Azure or AWS are where it's at and I'd genuinely recommend that track to anyone thinking of changing career paths.

Both have free tiers as well for you to start and have a play around with although what you get access to tends to be somewhat limited.

Cloud is definitely still growing and what I've seen since March is that lockdown has done more to spur working from home than anything we've been saying for the last 20 years. By which, I mean that the blockers haven't been the technology for well over a decade - we've had access to remote desktops/applications, forms of collaborative working (SharePoint and Office Communicator/Lync/Skype for Business/Teams) but the blocker was always the lack of trust. Managers in companies didn't want to lose the control they perceived to have and allowing staff to work from home was anathema to them. Same with some HR departments.

What we've actually seen is people have a much better work-life (well within the bounds of not being allowed to go very far) balance. Because they're not burning 1-2+ hours a day commuting they can get up a bit later but start and finish earlier. Or start later and finish later.

With the metrics available to Office 365, there's a clear increase in productivity because meetings tend to be shorter on Teams than face-to-face and there's none of that spending the first 10-15 minutes of each meeting wasting time getting screens, conference calls and the like working.

Teams usage went from around 27 million concurrent daily connections post-lockdown to almost 90 million during. At one point Microsoft had no spare capacity in all of their global data centres because they'd used it to create new Teams servers and infrastructure - if you wanted to create a new Azure server...tough.

It's a delight to finally see companies and individuals within companies using things like Teams and OneDrive for Business to actively work on the same document in real time - no more firing emails around with multiple versions that dozens of people have created and then trying to merge them manually.

It saves untold hours of wasted time and effort. I was once part of a bid response team for a huge MOD refresh project. The response ended up being around two dozen large A4 folders of double-sided printed media. One person had the unenviable task of going through the entire thing to check for inconsistencies - down to font size and type.

Then there's the ability to see who made which edits in case something is wrong or roll back to earlier versions - automatic ransomware protections built in.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Azure or AWS are where it's at and I'd genuinely recommend that track to anyone thinking of changing career paths.

Both have free tiers as well for you to start and have a play around with although what you get access to tends to be somewhat limited.

Cloud is definitely still growing and what I've seen since March is that lockdown has done more to spur working from home than anything we've been saying for the last 20 years. By which, I mean that the blockers haven't been the technology for well over a decade - we've had access to remote desktops/applications, forms of collaborative working (SharePoint and Office Communicator/Lync/Skype for Business/Teams) but the blocker was always the lack of trust. Managers in companies didn't want to lose the control they perceived to have and allowing staff to work from home was anathema to them. Same with some HR departments.

What we've actually seen is people have a much better work-life (well within the bounds of not being allowed to go very far) balance. Because they're not burning 1-2+ hours a day commuting they can get up a bit later but start and finish earlier. Or start later and finish later.

With the metrics available to Office 365, there's a clear increase in productivity because meetings tend to be shorter on Teams than face-to-face and there's none of that spending the first 10-15 minutes of each meeting wasting time getting screens, conference calls and the like working.

Teams usage went from around 27 million concurrent daily connections post-lockdown to almost 90 million during. At one point Microsoft had no spare capacity in all of their global data centres because they'd used it to create new Teams servers and infrastructure - if you wanted to create a new Azure server...tough.

It's a delight to finally see companies and individuals within companies using things like Teams and OneDrive for Business to actively work on the same document in real time - no more firing emails around with multiple versions that dozens of people have created and then trying to merge them manually.

It saves untold hours of wasted time and effort. I was once part of a bid response team for a huge MOD refresh project. The response ended up being around two dozen large A4 folders of double-sided printed media. One person had the unenviable task of going through the entire thing to check for inconsistencies - down to font size and type.

Then there's the ability to see who made which edits in case something is wrong or roll back to earlier versions - automatic ransomware protections built in.
Couldn’t agree with this more!