Fml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Bright Spark
I sold my XFX ATI HD4890 on ebay for £85 inc postage. Card was working perfectly.

Checked ebay this morning and received this message.

Hi there, I got the card thanks. I believe it has a fault. I bought it as a (slight) upgrade for my 4870. I removed my 4870 and installed your 4890. I immediately ran 3DMark06 and noticed the frame rates were much lower. This was borne out in the score. I uninstalled the ATI drivers and reinstalled them - same problem. I then decided to format my HDD and reinstall Windows. I downloaded fresh drivers from ATI and installed them - same problem. With my 4870 my 3dMark06 score is 18,000, with your 4890 it is 14,500. My PC Specs: Core i7 920 @ 4.1GHz, DFI Lanparty JR, 6GB Corsair, Intel SSD, Antec Truepower 850w. I googled the problem and read loads of old threads. The only problem I could find was someone not having a good enough PSU. I don't have that problem. So I can only conclude that the card is faulty. Do you have any suggestions before I ask to return it? Any help much appreciated. Thanks,

I replied explaining that its most likely a driver issue or something his end. I get the feeling this is not going to be the last i hear about this. :eek:

Timbercottage

Bronze Level Poster
Ah that sounds like a nightmare. I hate customers like this, I sold a Blu Ray boxset of Battlestar Galactica recently and the guy demanded a partial refund because he found some finger print marks on some of the discs :eek:!!! It's annoying because if you want to keep good feedback scores you have to listen to them no matter how big a **** they're being. I hope this gets resolved smoothly for you.

Matt

Bright Spark
Ah that sounds like a nightmare. I hate customers like this, I sold a Blu Ray boxset of Battlestar Galactica recently and the guy demanded a partial refund because he found some finger print marks on some of the discs :eek:!!! It's annoying because if you want to keep good feedback scores you have to listen to them no matter how big a **** they're being. I hope this gets resolved smoothly for you.

You know what. I think this guy is trying to pull a fast one on me.

I kept a record of my score on 3dmark when i had a E6750 and an Ati 4870.

Check it out

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=9968744

Bear in mind i had a E6750.

I think hes having me on or he has a problem his end.

Matt

Bright Spark
Just had a reply back from him, here we go...

Hi Matthew,

I pretty sure it's not working properly.

What could explain the card peforming so badly?

Seriously, it really is seriously inferior to my 4870.

I'm kind of hoping you can shed some light on the problem?

As for 'returns not accepted' - that doesn't mean you can sell items that aren't working as a PayPal dispute would show ;-)

Thanks,

Jon

Rakk

The Awesome
In which case he shouldn't have expected it to do better then :) and it's his only silly fault for buying something 'inferior'

Meds

Ok, get him to fit his old card and run 3D Mark.

When he saves the screen shot, get him to open CPU-Z & ATI CCC so you can see the CPU speeds & GPU model etc.

If he does that with his card then the card he got from you and emails proof then he may have a point, until then its his word against yours.

Matt

Bright Spark
Ok, get him to fit his old card and run 3D Mark.

When he saves the screen shot, get him to open CPU-Z & ATI CCC so you can see the CPU speeds & GPU model etc.

If he does that with his card then the card he got from you and emails proof then he may have a point, until then its his word against yours.

Good idea meds. I'll ask him about that.

Rakk

The Awesome
Just as a point, those two screenshots have different CPU's (well the results screen anyway), though admittedly the lower score with the 4890 has the better CPU, but it's not the same machine (unless it had got confused).

Last edited:

Meds

Cant view the images - they just wont load. Either on our forum or on imageshack :(

Matt

Bright Spark
Just as a point, those two screenshots have different CPU's (well the results screen anyway), though admittedly the lower score with the 4890 has the better CPU, but it's not the same machine (unless it had got confused).

Cant view the images - they just wont load. Either on our forum or on imageshack :(

I got another message when i asked saying it must have reported it wrong. Didn't fill me with confidence lol.

Ok meds rehosted here.

I checked the guys feedback on Ebay. Seems he has bought 3 4870 cards in the past month or so, including one after he bought my 4890.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Hes trying to scam you dude, probably got a buch of knackered cards and swapping the heatsinks / fan cases over

Meds

If you look, the CPU score is near identical so it could well be that the 3D Mark Software reported the model incorrectly.

However, both screen shots were taken yesterday - 15 August after 15:00pm so these tests weren't run after we requested the screenies. Maybe he upped the settings when running 3D Mark on your 4890 in order to get a lower score on purpose?

There are loads of different possibilities but at the end of the day, the graphics card works. It posts, runs 3D benchmarks, doesn't glitch or have corrupt display and doesn't crash/BSoD. I don't see how he can try to request a refund?

Matt

Bright Spark
Hes trying to scam you dude, probably got a buch of knackered cards and swapping the heatsinks / fan cases over

urgh, so what do i do?

If he puts a dispute in via paypal don't they just take the money back and stick two fingers up to the seller?

I sent the item really well packaged, original box then wrapped in loads of bubble wrap.

Matt

Bright Spark
If you look, the CPU score is near identical so it could well be that the 3D Mark Software reported the model incorrectly.

However, both screen shots were taken yesterday - 15 August after 15:00pm so these tests weren't run after we requested the screenies. Maybe he upped the settings when running 3D Mark on your 4890 in order to get a lower score on purpose?

There are loads of different possibilities but at the end of the day, the graphics card works. It posts, runs 3D benchmarks, doesn't glitch or have corrupt display and doesn't crash/BSoD. I don't see how he can try to request a refund?

Yeah, this was the point i made to him. I said but its not giving errors or anything so how can it be faulty.

I have no luck in life.

Matt

Bright Spark
Yup, paypal will bum you into non existance, they are RUBBISH

Well at the moment i am going to try and dispute it, ive sent him some replies saying to try it in a friends pc, and to check his power supply, try a different psu and or try using different 6pin molex things from the psu.

PaulH

Bright Spark
There is nothing wrong with the card, nothing at all, cards dont just downclock themselves and only work half arsed, if theres no artifacing, theres nothing wrong with it, its like saying an overclocked 5850 is better than a 5870 - it IS, because its overclocked.

Meds

If he is set on returning it then accept it back. Make sure its the exact card you sent him, if you kept logs of serials etc that would help but I doubt you did as I never do! When you get it, test it and sell it again on eBay - fari enough you will lose the delivery costs but that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.