Fortnite - Installation Help

DannyJ29

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this type of thread but I thought it would be best to stick it here with the other gaming chat.

I recently bought a new custom PC from PCS - one of the main reasons being so I could make the switch from console to PC gaming. I attempted to download and install Fortnite through the Epic Games Launcher. The game launcher itself downloaded and installed fine however whilst downloading Fortnite within the launcher I either get the error code IS-FC05 or my computer goes into blue screen of death mode and gives me the stop code: CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION. For some reason while downloading, the size of the download file increases from around 13GB upwards in large jumps until it gets to around 70GB. I have previously downloaded the game to an old laptop which worked fine, however the laptop wasn't great performance wise hence the reason I opted to buy a new computer.

I spent the entire weekend trying to fix the issue. I tried the following fixes:

- Deleting the game files that had been downloaded before failure and reinstalling the game
- Deleting the Epic Games Launcher and all game files and reinstalling
- Deleted BullGuard software to ensure it wasn't interfering
- Disabled Windows Defender Firewall
- Using CCleaner to clean and repair my registry and reinstalling
- Reinstalling my Windows 10 operating system
- Installing the launcher and game to a different drive other than my C drive

None of the above worked. I also checked to ensure all my drivers are up to date, which they are, and I also ran a Windows check on my RAM to ensure there were no issues with it and it came back fine. I also even attempted to copy the game files from my laptop to my PC using an external hard drive, but the Epic Game Launcher begins to download the files again after verifying the installation - it gets stuck in a download/verify loop almost.

I initially thought the problem was with the game itself or the Epic Games Launcher as I've been able to download and play CS:GO through Steam with no problems however I'm now unsure if this is the case due to the fact my laptop version of the game still works fine. I have also seen stories online of people replacing their RAM which solves the issue and another instance where someone replaced their motherboard, RAM and GPU which solved it (drastic measures I know but it again makes me wonder if one of these could be the issue here?). Given the fact I have tried installing the game files copied from my old laptop (which is also Windows 10) and it's still not working, it makes me wonder if it could even be a directory issue?

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever experienced this issue or something similar and knows of a solution or could point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated; I'm far from an expert so even if it's just advising what checks to do to confirm that my PC itself is fine and that the issue is from the Epic Games side of things so I can confirm this to them? I'm hoping that due to the game being so popular it's something someone will be able to help with as I've tried everything I can think of and I'm at my wits end with it!

Thanks in advance.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Are you running the installer / launcher as administrator?

What's the full spec of your system (copied from your main PCS account)?

What software / drivers did you install since getting the system? Do you use any kind of driver booster / driver updater software?

DannyJ29

Are you running the installer / launcher as administrator?

What's the full spec of your system (copied from your main PCS account)?

What software / drivers did you install since getting the system? Do you use any kind of driver booster / driver updater software?

Yes, running everything as the administrator.

Spec as follows:

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700 (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 - HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive: 500GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 535MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 256GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3210MB/sR | 1315MB/sW)
Operating System: Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

The only other software I have installed is Steam (and CS:GO within) and NVIDIA GeForce-Experience. I have done a Windows check for any necessary updates and there were a couple (one for Windows Defender and another for something else that I can't remember what for).

DannyJ29

The error you have mentioned seems to be a common one.
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/bug-reports/battle-royale-aa/171624-code-is-fc05-~-help

Only person that seems to have it resolved was a RAM issue. Does the system work fine on CSGO or anything else game related you have tried?

Strangely enough the system works fine for everything else including CSGO.

I found out a couple of nights ago that the issue is with my computers RAM being corrupt as you say.

Because it's a brand new computer (literally not even a week old) I didn't suspect this was the case due to the fact one of the first things I done was run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it came back with no errors. It wasn't until I had literally tried every other fix imaginable over the course of the week that I carried out a more comprehensive test of my RAM using MemTest86 and got errors within the first 10 minutes of the tests running. Currently awaiting new RAM being sent out but fairly confident the issue will be resolved once this is installed.