Forum log out error

Stephen M

Author Level
Screenshot from 2019-04-08 07-19-19.png

Has anyone else had this when logging out of the forum, has been happening to me for a few days now. Not a major problem just seems odd.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I quite often get issues with Cloudflare. 502 is a bad gateway and it just means that one server failed to contact another server. It's a Cloudflare issue and is nothing at all to do with you, there's nothing you can do to affect it either. My guess (and that's all it is) is congestion in the Cloudflare networks.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I quite often get issues with Cloudflare. 502 is a bad gateway and it just means that one server failed to contact another server. It's a Cloudflare issue and is nothing at all to do with you, there's nothing you can do to affect it either. My guess (and that's all it is) is congestion in the Cloudflare networks.

Hmm - on another network I'd tend to agree, but (I should really have Googled this first!) isn't one of the selling points of cloudflare their ability to mitigate massive DDoS attacks? I'd have thought you needed a lot of capacity to copy with that? Showing my lack of networking nounce there.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hmm - on another network I'd tend to agree, but (I should really have Googled this first!) isn't one of the selling points of cloudflare their ability to mitigate massive DDoS attacks? I'd have thought you needed a lot of capacity to copy with that? Showing my lack of networking nounce there.

Well...I'm not talking about Cloudflare from any real knowledge of how it all works, and I did say it was a guess. ;)

I don't think any company ever installs enough capacity to accommodate peak loads. The Pareto Principle applies I think, so there are always likely to be periods of congestion, that seems the most likely explanation for these 502 errors anyway.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well...I'm not talking about Cloudflare from any real knowledge of how it all works, and I did say it was a guess. ;)

I don't think any company ever installs enough capacity to accommodate peak loads. The Pareto Principle applies I think, so there are always likely to be periods of congestion, that seems the most likely explanation for these 502 errors anyway.

Well that is true for sure - even home users. I remember my first ADSL was 512kbps and for a while it was amazing (I mean, 10 times faster than dialup...wow!)

Eventually I got maxed out at about 3.8Mbps but when Fibre came and I could get 72Mbps (well, to be fair, usually 65Mbps, but still) it was a phenomenal change. Now, of course, I wish it was even faster.

But Cloudflare might be using some odd maths for the speeds of their network (such as adding them all up together, maybe):

https://www.cloudflare.com/lp/ddos-d/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I used to have major problems with cloudflare when I used BT DNS, but since moving over to 1.1.1.1 I haven’t had any issues at all.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well that is true for sure - even home users. I remember my first ADSL was 512kbps and for a while it was amazing (I mean, 10 times faster than dialup...wow!)

Eventually I got maxed out at about 3.8Mbps but when Fibre came and I could get 72Mbps (well, to be fair, usually 65Mbps, but still) it was a phenomenal change. Now, of course, I wish it was even faster.

But Cloudflare might be using some odd maths for the speeds of their network (such as adding them all up together, maybe):

https://www.cloudflare.com/lp/ddos-d/

I suspect (more guessing) that it's router capacity that's maxing out rather than line speeds.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I used to have major problems with cloudflare when I used BT DNS, but since moving over to 1.1.1.1 I haven’t had any issues at all.

BT used to use a transparent proxy and force all DNS traffic to their own DNS servers regardless of what you had set.

They stopped doing it a few years ago after multiple outages of their DNS servers.

Whether or not they still use a transparent proxy though, is anyone's guess.