Forza Horizon 3 Crash to desktop

barlew

Godlike
I am an a huge fan of the Forza Horizon series and I am trying to play it on PC unfortunately it is just crashing to desktop as soon as I load into the game or very soon after.

I have done the obligatory googling and I so far have found no solution. I am hoping someone here has had the same problem and knows how to fix it lol.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am an a huge fan of the Forza Horizon series and I am trying to play it on PC unfortunately it is just crashing to desktop as soon as I load into the game or very soon after.

I have done the obligatory googling and I so far have found no solution. I am hoping someone here has had the same problem and knows how to fix it lol.
Is it only happening on Forza?

Do you get any error codes at all?

barlew

Godlike
Is it only happening on Forza?

Do you get any error codes at all?
Yeh just Forza.

Absolutely nothing. The game starts fine, It loads my save game and then as soon as I spawn in the car it crashes to desktop.
No error message at all.

I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled and its still doing it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeh just Forza.

Absolutely nothing. The game starts fine, It loads my save game and then as soon as I spawn in the car it crashes to desktop.
No error message at all.

I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled and its still doing it.
Where are you installing from? A game client?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Im installing it from the Microsoft store.
Microsoft store is notorious for really buggy installers.

This is from the Forza help page:

Microsoft Store and UWP game reset​

Make sure all to set your game to the highest priority in Task Manager.

Windows > Settings > type Apps & Features > title > Advanced Options > Reset

Software​

The game does not explicitly support and may even see certain applications/software as a conflict or threat and as such refuse to run, or run with crashes.

Disable ALL background software or applications including, Antivirus, Firewalls, and any FPS boosting or monitoring software.

Forza Horizon 4 will not boot if you are using any of the following virus checkers.

• Trend Micro Maximum Security
  • Comodo Antivirus
  • Sophos
  • Emisoft Anti-Malware
  • Avira
  • Avast
  • Bitdefender Firewall
The following list of software applications can cause Forza Horizon 4 to either fail to launch or crash while playing. Please make sure you either disable or uninstall to ensure successful gameplay.

• Logitech G Hub
  • MSI Afterburner / Riva Tuner Statistics Server
  • EVGA Precision
  • OBS
  • Xsplit
  • Discord
  • MacType
  • Warsaw Banking App
  • Wallpaper Engine
  • A-Volute Sound studio
  • Nahimic Audio
  • Sonic Audio
If you are using OBS, Xsplit, or any other streaming programs, please set your source to display capture.

We would suggest disabling Game Mode in Windows and close any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording, and any nonessential apps while you play the game.

Deactivate Windows Defender​

1. Open Start. . ...
  2. Open Settings. . ...
  3. Click. Update & Security. ...
  4. Click Windows Security. This tab is in the upper-left side of the window.
  5. Click Virus & threat protection. ...
  6. Click Virus & threat protection settings. ...
  7. Disable Windows Defender's real-time scanning.
  8. Set game priority to high
  9. Turn off any overlays

Turn off any extra Power monitoring software​

• MSI DragonCenter
  • RyzenMaster
  • Gamefast from Dells Killer Control Center
  • Any software installed that may be adjusting or monitoring power settings
I've only listed the ones I thought may be relevant that you may not have tried already, worth a go.

Source: https://support.forzamotorsport.net...My-Game-is-Not-Launching-or-is-Crashing-on-PC

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Software​

The game does not explicitly support and may even see certain applications/software as a conflict or threat and as such refuse to run, or run with crashes.

Disable ALL background software or applications including, Antivirus, Firewalls, and any FPS boosting or monitoring software.

Forza Horizon 4 will not boot if you are using any of the following virus checkers.

• Comodo Antivirus
  • Sophos
  • Emisoft Anti-Malware
  • Avira
  • Avast
  • Bitdefender Firewall
The following list of software applications can cause Forza Horizon 4 to either fail to launch or crash while playing. Please make sure you either disable or uninstall to ensure successful gameplay.

• Logitech G Hub
  • EVGA Precision
  • OBS
  • Xsplit
  • Discord
  • MacType
  • Warsaw Banking App
  • Wallpaper Engine
  • A-Volute Sound studio
  • Nahimic Audio
  • Sonic Audio
If you are using OBS, Xsplit, or any other streaming programs, please set your source to display capture.

We would suggest disabling Game Mode in Windows and close any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording, and any nonessential apps while you play the game.

1. Open Start. . ...
  2. Open Settings. . ...
  9. Turn off any overlays

• MSI DragonCenter
  • RyzenMaster
I've only listed the ones I thought may be relevant that you may not have tried already, worth a go.

Source: https://support.forzamotorsport.net...My-Game-is-Not-Launching-or-is-Crashing-on-PC
Good grief! That’s quite a list. It’s almost like they don’t want you to play the game!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good grief! That’s quite a list. It’s almost like they don’t want you to play the game!
It is a bit surprising isn’t it, not sure if they’re just being over the top for a small minority who face issues or if these are definite no nos, but good places to try some troubleshooting

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Software​

• Comodo Antivirus
  • Sophos
  • Emisoft Anti-Malware
  • Avira
  • Avast
  • Bitdefender Firewall

• Logitech G Hub
  • EVGA Precision
  • OBS
  • Xsplit
  • Discord
  • MacType
  • Warsaw Banking App
  • Wallpaper Engine
  • A-Volute Sound studio
  • Nahimic Audio
  • Sonic Audio

1. Open Start. . ...
  2. Open Settings. . ...
  9. Turn off any overlays

• MSI DragonCenter
  • RyzenMaster

Turn off all your antimalware to run their software? No Sir. With a list like that the sensible person questions the game software. I don't care how much I wanted to play it, that software wouldn't get within a mile of my PC.

BTW. If it BSODs please don't call me. ;)

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Software​

• Comodo Antivirus
  • Sophos
  • Emisoft Anti-Malware
  • Avira
  • Avast
  • Bitdefender Firewall

• Logitech G Hub
  • EVGA Precision
  • OBS
  • Xsplit
  • Discord
  • MacType
  • Warsaw Banking App
  • Wallpaper Engine
  • A-Volute Sound studio
  • Nahimic Audio
  • Sonic Audio

1. Open Start. . ...
  2. Open Settings. . ...
  9. Turn off any overlays

• MSI DragonCenter
  • RyzenMaster

Basically everything you have on your PC. Corsair iCUE is missing tho 😂

barlew

Godlike
Thanks for the help @SpyderTracks. I came across that list and couldn't believe one of the recommendations was to turn off Windows Defender.

@ubuysa haha there are no BSOD's you will be pleased to know!

I have actually ended up uninstalling the game. Their are support forums all over the web with loads of users complaining of this exact issue going back years. It would appear to be a known problem which never got patched.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the help @SpyderTracks. I came across that list and couldn't believe one of the recommendations was to turn off Windows Defender.

@ubuysa haha there are no BSOD's you will be pleased to know!

I have actually ended up uninstalling the game. Their are support forums all over the web with loads of users complaining of this exact issue going back years. It would appear to be a known problem which never got patched.
For such a headlined title I’m so surprised at that list of things to disable and uninstall. I’m not familiar with the game, but I wonder if it was on a different games client like steam if it would be more resilient. Steam tends to be much better and rolling in patches.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If the game goes back that many years it kinda sounds to me as though it was written for Windows 7 (or XP?!) and has never been updated to the much more secure Windows 10 platform.

I wonder whether installing it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 would help?

barlew

Godlike
If the game goes back that many years it kinda sounds to me as though it was written for Windows 7 (or XP?!) and has never been updated to the much more secure Windows 10 platform.

I wonder whether installing it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 would help?
I did think of this but the recommended specs are for Windows 10. I think its a crap PC port to be honest.
I am reinstalling it on a different drive now to see if that makes a difference. I am going to disable my laptop performance profiles as well to see if its a problem with the CPU/GPU boost.
If neither of those work I will just uninstall it and leave it at that.
I am not carrying out a clean install of my OS just for one game.

barlew

Godlike
Right so neither of those changes made a difference. However all is not lost.
In game I turned off framerate smoothing and dropped the max pre rendered frames to 1 and touch wood It hasn't crashed.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Spoke too soon...
2E9CB1AB-63F4-4A3F-9C7C-EF818ED30232.jpeg