FPS measuring...

Petchi b

Does anyone know of any good, free programs I could use to measure what FPS I'm getting in games?

Metro 2033 runs super smooth with everything maxed out in DX11, just wondered how many FPS I'm getting.

Also what's the minimum FPS you need to run a game smooth and is there any limit where you wouldn't notice any difference if it went higher?

Thanks

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Most screens are 60fps so if you can claim to see higher than 60 you are most likely lying. Also it depends on your eyes, some people find 20 pretty smooth and infact, cinemas show movies at only 25 fps

Rakk

The Awesome
As Wozza said, anything above 60FPS the vast majority of people wouldn't notice the difference between it and 60FPS.

I believe FRAPS can tell you your FPS, some games also have their own bits and pieces to let you know (ok, I know of one, its the one I play)

UndeadJack

Master Poster
I find 65 - 70 better than 60 but that's me. Some people (inc many older people) find 30 the best they can see

Saryad

I personaly find that anything over 25 is playable, anything above 40 is smooth, and above 60 i cant see any difference

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think if you adapt yourself you can begin to see moremclearly, im starting to find 30fps games smooth because of playing minecraft on my laptop where i struggle to get a smooth 15-20fps

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I bet you have 60hz screen, and therefore you cant notice any difference between 60 and 500 because the screen only displays 60

Flucky

Fraps also has a good benchmarking tool, which is nice and simple. It can give you min/max/avg values, frametimes and FPS. (Find it under the FPS tab)

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I'm with Wozza and going to say that most probably its psychological. There is no actual limit proven though as to how many FPS the human eye can actually see as we don't see in frames, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere, this will vary from person to person though. Back to my first point though, if your brain is convinced that 25 fps is smooth and life like, i'm willing to bet the chances you can notice higher than 60 is pretty slim.

As to the OP, like said, Fraps is the best bet, plus if you record it doesn't compress the files meaning its not very hardware intensive.

harzo

Silver Level Poster
Hey... I just downloaded FRAPS and tried it with Crysis on my new rig...

Was showing 20-30 fps and my PC is brand new. I had everything on very high.

I thought I'd have got around 60fps on a 3 year old game?

UndeadJack

Master Poster
Crysis is one of the most demanding games, even now
Yeah but the people that dev crysis get their ideas via COD, Halo and Crack mixed together. Don't you find films in cinemas blurry and gappy except in digital and imax cinemas? Last 1 i was in the image was visibly shaking