fraudulent emails

newchick475

Hi, this is a bit of a bizarre one, but hoping someone can let me know if this is possible ... I was recently advised by the police that an email was sent by me to a previous employer, and they accused me of harassment. However, I was locked out of the Hotmail account in question a long time ago. This evening I have found out that the email was sent from an IPhone.

Is it possible for someone to recreate an old email that I sent from the Hotmail account on my mobile and issue it as a new email?

Really need some assistance on this, Microsoft have already confirmed that the email account has been locked by them due to inactivity for a long period but the psni seem to be having problems understanding this.

I was originally using an iPhone when I would have had access to the Hotmail account. So that's why I'm wondering could someone have used an old email, and just deleted the original message and entered new text?.

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, this is a bit of a bizarre one, but hoping someone can let me know if this is possible ... I was recently advised by the police that an email was sent by me to a previous employer, and they accused me of harassment. However, I was locked out of the Hotmail account in question a long time ago. This evening I have found out that the email was sent from an IPhone.

Is it possible for someone to recreate an old email that I sent from the Hotmail account on my mobile and issue it as a new email?

Really need some assistance on this, Microsoft have already confirmed that the email account has been locked by them due to inactivity for a long period but the psni seem to be having problems understanding this.

I was originally using an iPhone when I would have had access to the Hotmail account. So that's why I'm wondering could someone have used an old email, and just deleted the original message and entered new text?.

Thanks

No, they couldn't do it that way. The best the can do is get your logon details and spoof the account from another device.

All emails are signed with the originating IP address which is a unique address number for the device that's sent it.

If the police are tracking an email thread, then they'll know this and be able to determine where it was sent from down to the IMEI number of the phone

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It's more than likely that any police officers dealing with this will have fairly basic knowledge of the tech involved here. I'd advise you to ask them for a copy of the email header, or at least to check the originating IP and investigate where that tracks down to. For many people its obvious that if an email says its from [email protected] then its obviously from that address, its quite easy to spoof just like getting an email from PayPal saying you need to update account details but its actually just a scam.

If Microsoft can give you a cast iron alibi that the email is dead and nothing has been sent from it for the period in question then you should be fine, however it wont be as simple as requesting the police contact them as they will need all sorts of permissions to talk to anyone other than yourself about it.