freezing/crashing driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

JackC

I'm having a problem where i am gaming then my headphones start making a repeating noise and start buzzing sort of and then my ping goes really high on csgo and loss and on all my games my fps goes really low when this happens. Sometimes i wait and it will recover or sometimes my pc goes to a blue screen saying driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. I have looked on process explorer and the one which goes high is dpcs/hardware interrupts when the problem occurs. I have run furmark without any problems prime 95 without any problems and memtest without any problems.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As the BSDO says it's a driver problem. So.....have you updated any drivers recently? Have you done any driver updates via Windows Update recently? Have you added any new hardware (that required software installation) recently? Have you installed any new software recently?

If the answer to all the above is no then you'll need to establish which driver is failing, probably the best place to start is to disconnect all external devices, so unplug all USB ports (yes, even your mouse) so that the only hardware devices you're using are those in the PC itself. See whether you get the BSOD then. If you don't it should be a simple process of elimination to identify the problem device. If you still get them it's going to be a tad harder.

See how that goes... :)

JackC

On Thu 30/10/2014 15:52:04 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103014-48422-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athrx.sys (athrx+0x18D16)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x18, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88004E28D16)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\athrx.sys
product: Driver for Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
company: Atheros Communications, Inc.
description: Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: athrx.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: Atheros Communications, Inc. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I do not even have one of these network adapters mine is tp-link and i have never installed anything from Atheros so i don't know what to do. (apparently windows update does it i have read online but i don't know if that's true)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Lots of comms devices use Atheros chipsets, so I wouldn't be too worried that Windows identifies your wifi card as an Atheros card when it's really from TP-Link, it's almost certainly uskng an Atheros chipset.

Your problem seems to be that the driver you installed for the TP-Link network adapter is either not properly installed, or it's an outdated or wrong driver. I suggest you visit the TP-Link download website at http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/ and download the latest driver for whatever device you have. I also suggest that you uninstall the current driver for that device before installing the new one.

See how that goes.

JackC

i have done this and it has not made a difference really i still crash. When i game my DPC latency is always red and yellow and when im on desktop doing normal stuff its green and spikes up to yellow and red. I also play CSGO and i have my net graph on and when im getting the buzzing sound through headphones my DPC latency goes extremely high and my ping goes really high and i get a massive drop of fps from like 300 to 10 and my fps instead of being 300 goes to 100. This happens on all games not just csgo.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn't take any notice of the DPC readings, they'll obviously be affected as the computer is crashing, so everything will come to a grinding halt until you install the correct drivers.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok. 99% of the time this particular BCCode is a driver problem. If you have installed the latest driver and it crashes see whether you can get an older driver. Google your device and see whether there is an earlier driver available, it may be that the latest driver has some incompatibility with your system.

It's possible also that it's not your TP-Link device but something related. The BCCode of 0xD1 provides a parameter list (0x18, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88004E28D16). Parameter 2 (0x02) gives you the IRQ of the failing device, so you might check to see whether your TP-Link device uses IRQ2. To do that right-click on the device entry for your TP-Link device in Device Manager, select the Resources tab and scroll down to find the IRQ number. Alternatively you could click on View and then select Resources By Type, then expand the Interrupt request (IRQ) entry and look for the device(s) using IRQ2.

JackC

it says IRQ 0x00000010 (16)
sorry for late reply
it still crashes
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
i click update and comes up with this: windows could not find driver software for device
(This is for my USB controller.)

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
it says IRQ 0x00000010 (16)
sorry for late reply
it still crashes
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
i click update and comes up with this: windows could not find driver software for device
(This is for my USB controller.)

In Device Manager for the device missing a driver, click on the Details tab and in the drop-down list select Hardware IDs. You'll see two hex numbers, one prefixed by VID and the other prefixed by PID (eg VID_8087&PID_0024). You can either post those here or search the PCI database yourself (http://pcidatabase.com). That should give you at least the vendor name and usually a link to the right driver.

On the other hand you might want to call PCS and talk this through with them. I have no doubt that they can tell you what driver you're missing and get it to you.

JackC

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&SUBSYS_50071458
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&CC_0C03

there you are thanks for help so far

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&SUBSYS_50071458
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&CC_0C03

there you are thanks for help so far

That device is the Intel USB3.0 Extensible Host Controller (which matches what you found earlier) and the driver for that is built into Windows 8, are you running Windows 8? I'm guessing not since you're missing the driver, but you might want to take a look at this page from Intel: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033977.htm and also at a known Windows 8 problem described at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033962.htm (I doubt that affects you if it's a PCS built PC though). For Windows 7 the driver (and lots more information) can be found at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/sftwr-prod/usb3ehcd.

If all that is a bit much you could try running the Intel Driver Update Utility, it can be downloaded from http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect. This tool will scan your system for Intel devices and indicate whether newer drivers are available.

JackC

I got this new bsod saying attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout I don't know what this means

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I got this new bsod saying attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout I don't know what this means

In that case it might be wise to take the nuclear option and plan for a clean reinstallation of WIndows. Be sure to backup all your user data first. Choose the Custom installation option and delete all partitions on the disk, then create a new one the size of the entire disk (or however many you need).

Once Windows is installed install all the drivers from the disk PCS sent you. Then run Windows update repeatedly installing all important fixes it finds (you can leave the recommended fixes for later, do not install any driver updates found by Windows update).

Do not install any other software or make any configuration changes to Windows just yet.

Now test it to see whether it still BSODs or fails in any other way. If it does you probably have a hardware problem and you should call PCS. If it doesn't fail you can reinstall your third-party programs, but it's best to do that one at a time and test it in between to check that it's not a third-party program that's causing your problems.

JackC

still crashing and i have went into logs and found this cause i let it crash for a while then when it stops crashing it says my graphics card driver has stopped responding and has recovered so i went into windows event viewer and found this
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
13b9(24d0) 00000000 00000000

any help would be appreciated

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you mean it's still crashing after a clean reinstall of Windows (and nothing else except drivers and updates) it's almost certainly a hardware issue. It looks to be with your graphics card so you might try removing and re-inserting that, checking all cables and connectors etc.

If that doesn't bring any joy you should call PCS and discuss an RMA.