Fresh Ubuntu Install - Fans going crazy on minimal tasks

NickDavies903

I've just freshly installed 20.04.2 onto a new PCS laptop but the fans keep kicking in like crazy and CPU usage sky rockets while doing the minimal of tasks.

Basics
Code:
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Kernel 5.8.0-43

Chassis
UltraNote Series: 15.6"

Base Board Information
Manufacturer: CLEVO 
Product Name: NL5XRU

CPU GPU
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics (8) @ 2.0GHz Max Boost Clock. Up to 4.1GHz
AMD ATI 04:00.0 Renoir

It seems to happen quite sporadically.

I've just been browsing Firefox with no more than three tabs open and the fans will start to kick in.

I'm all up to date. Is there anything I'm missing here? Full specs attached.

Attachments

• specs.txt
    859 bytes · Views: 209

Stephen M

Author Level
Is it just fans going for no real reason or are there thermal issues as well, you can check those with Psensor, available in Software Centre and, I think, as a Snap.

Stephen M

Author Level
Also, I have found Ubuntu quite strange since 20. with various issues and now mainly use Manjaro. If you have time would be worth installing that to see if problem still there. If yes could be an issue with the laptop.

Plus, which drivers are you using, many 'nix distros work better with

NickDavies903

CPU usage is generally staying low, although I do get the odd spike to 100%.

Running lspci showing the amd gpu is in use:

Code:
$ lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
  Kernel driver in use: amdgpu

But here's a quick shot from psensor, the fans are going pretty loud now.

Screenshot 2021-02-12 10:18:51.png

Strontium

The SSD max temperature is set very low, furthermore, if temp1 is your cpu/gpu there are two entries with one that also looks to have a low maximum temperature. I would not change a value if you can't identify what it is. You can identify the SSD though!

I used to occasionally get cores trying to do impossible processes and reaching 100 %, hasn't happened for quite a while though. When it did, the core(s) stayed close to 100% for several minutes. Deepin dock trying to autohide was one such impossible process, I just removed the dock from my system.

Stephen M

Author Level
Sorry just noticed end of last post missing. Should read many nix distros now work better with X.org Noveau drivers for the GPU.