Full overclock off but get full benefit of 1600 memory

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Hi Guys,

As you can see below I have a rig that allows me to overclock if I want to, I tried it but didn't really offer me much extra at the time so I switched back to the default setups, i.e. no clocking.

I have been investigating my system a bit recently and noticed that my memory

8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600MHz XMP

is currently working at its lower setting of 1333.

Is there a way I can get the extra speed of the memory without performing the full OC, I have an ASUS P8Z68 V Pro board as I say its default (no clocking) setup

Will I even benefit from the extra speed this may offer anyway. Just a thought as I have the better memory thought it might be useful.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Will I even benefit from the extra speed this may offer anyway. Just a thought as I have the better memory thought it might be useful.
Do you have XMP enabled in your bios? For gaming the additional memory bandwidth will not provide any noticeable difference.

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Do you have XMP enabled in your bios? For gaming the additional memory bandwidth will not provide any noticeable difference.

I don't actually know but since I have the OC turned off and only defaults set its highly unlikely. I don't really do games so thats not an issue. I do do video editting though so having the memory as fast as possible would be a bonus if its possible.

I turned the clock off as it was too unstable and I wanted to get the PC up and running, never really got round to re visiting the overclock stuff and to be honest just want the fastest default settings I can get that are stable, hence the investigation into using the memory at its potential speed.

Is it just a case of setting the AI Overclock Setting to [XMP], at present it is set to [AUTO], I think

If I do this are there any direct implications for me to watch out for.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Do you have asus suite installed in your system? Have you try using TurboV Evo? I manage to get an stable overclock using it without any issues.

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Do you have asus suite installed in your system? Have you try using TurboV Evo? I manage to get an stable overclock using it without any issues.

I have got it loaded but i actually don't want an overclock as such just the correct settings that mean the memory is used to its full capability and speed. when I get some slack time i'll try the overclock again but a very stable system is de-rigeur (I think thats right-flash git!) at the moment.

Thanks for the pointer though