full system missing

speedruns2

Hello folks,
I have just returned some a work trip after 2 weeks and my friend was watching the house and using my pc. I turned it on like normal and it completed POST fine then the problems began. It tells me to insert a boot disk I found this odd but did so and then went to repair system but there is nothing to select which is odd. I checked the bios the hdd is there and detected. So I go onto install windows to look at partitions and all it has is: disk 0 unallocated space 1863.0gb free space 1963.0gb any help would be nice as I have no idea. So I then hit next to select that drive it copies the windows files starts expanding the files and it Bsod 0x00000124 I have no idea what to do now.

I have a second my old back up with the same os on just an added note.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It sounds like your hard disk is dead. Stop code 0x124 is a hardware error which you'd expect with a hard drive error.

Try booting the Windows install DVD and select the Repair option, open a command prompt and run chkdsk /f on your drive. If that doesn't work, or if it reports uncorrected errors, then try formatting the drive from the command prompt.

If you can't format the drive for example, then it's probably dead.

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your hard disk is dead. Stop code 0x124 is a hardware error which you'd expect with a hard drive error.

Try booting the Windows install DVD and select the Repair option, open a command prompt and run chkdsk /f on your drive. If that doesn't work, or if it reports uncorrected errors, then try formatting the drive from the command prompt.

If you can't format the drive for example, then it's probably dead.

If it does allow you to run chkdsk and comes back clean I would suggest typing the following into the command prompt.

sfc /scannow

This will scan your OS build for issues. If this comes back clean it may be ram related issue.