Fusion Fury - best monitor for X Plane?

ph2020

Hi all!

Purchased the August PC of the month (Fusion Fury, specs below) and was wondering what the best monitor around £400 could buy, mainly for use with X Plane 11 (flight sim)? Guessing widescreen/ultrawide is best for a flight sim.. Ideally 1440p (though not possible if widescreen?), 1ms, 144Hz, etc.

I had originally ordered the 34" LG 34UC79G-B but that's 1080p which is apparently a 33% sacrifice of FPS vs 1440p... now I'm thinking Dell S2719DGF is a better option?

Any help would be much appreciated. Budget can be stretched a bit if it's worth it. I think I just want the best X Plane 11 experience since I'm training to be a pilot.

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get 3 Months of XBOX Game Pass for PC w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12

down_right_arrow.gif
Get 3 Months of XBOX Game Pass for PC w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

down_right_arrow.gif
Choose from 6 Incredible Ubisoft Titles FREE with select SAMSUNG NVMe SSDs!
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

D

Deleted member 88683

Nice set up mate,

How far along are you with your training?

As far as it goes for monitors, i would say it boils down to personal preference really when it comes to flight sim and of course the higher the resolution is, the more impacting it will be on the FPS. I usually just get something around 27" i have used fight sims since i was a kid and have spent most of my time on them as a pose to normal gaming. I recently moved over to x-plane from FSX due to the on-going limitations with it being a 32bit application and i got a curved monitor, 32" but i was not into the way the image sort of wraps around its self on the edge, it looked odd, plus the monitor (not from pcs) turned up with dead pixels so i got shut of it. I was then contemplating the ultra-wide to give a more immersive effect (like curved) but I just found them to narrow and stretched, it's difficult because you cannot exactly just go to a shop and check what is right for you. In the end i just went back to having a standard monitor but decided to get a higher refresh rate as i found that it helped with screen tearing and of course a 2k monitor (its the way forward, such a difference to the quality of the sim). I went with the Asus MG278Q in the end, i really don't care so much about the immersion effect because i feel it naturally happens on flight sim anyway when you are concentrating.

That is just my two cents anyway, i don't see any harm in going for the Dell monitor, it seems like a solid choice and will certainly delivery, you just have to decide what is right for you
- Size - Thinking about physical space limitations as to were you intend to position the monitor in your house, confined space etc.
- Style (curved, ultra wide etc) - Personal preference more than anything.
- Resolution - Given the way tech is at the moment, most systems can handle 2k without breaking a sweat and the quality difference is noticeable.
- Refresh rate - Not such an issue with flight sim IMO, as most of the time you will be getting low FPS anyway, from memory i think X-PLANE says to aim to get a constant 30fps in the sim, if it is higher, put the settings up, if it is lower, the sim will run at half speed to compensate.

ph2020

Thank you Keano! I ended up re-ordering the 34" ultrawide LG monitor for a bit more than the original order.. (whoops). I must say, so far I'm not disappointed. It was a breeze to set up and it's sat there ready, waiting for my Fusion Fury to arrive from PCS.

I've only flown 5 hours so far but that's in the space of 2 weekends, so it's coming along nicely so far. I'm 26 so I'm trying to hurry things up a little if I'm to end up in an airliner cockpit in good time.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Just to say, you can get 1440p ultrawide (3440x1440) monitors for £400 and under, with freesync. e.g. Samsung SJ55W

Or one by Element Gaming (35", VA panel, 100hz refresh)