Fusion Studio - Ubuntu / PopOS - Screen issue

VadBer

Hi,

I just bought a Fusion Serie and I'm having screen issue when running Ubuntu (tested 20.04 and 21.04) or PopOS (tested 21.04)
  • built-in screen display is blinking when the mouse cursor is moving within its display area using the touchpad or a mouse
  • if I press the left button while moving the cursor the display does not blink
  • when using an external monitor its display is fine, but not the integrated screen one (in duplicated or extended mode)
  • I recorded the screen and the video is not showing the blinks (although the screen was blinking while recording)
What I tried:
  • changing screens resolutions
  • enabling / disabling PopOS HiDPI daemon
  • use different kernels (from 5.11 to 5.14)
Here are the laptop specs:

Chassis & DisplayFusion Studio Series : Écran large LED mat 14 pouces 90 Hz sRGB 95 % WQXGA (2880 x 1800)
Processor (CPU)Processeur Quad Core Intel® Core® i7 11370H (3,3 GHz, 4,8 GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16 Go Corsair 2933 MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8 Go)
Graphics CardIntel® Iris® Xe Graphics
1st M.2 SSD Drive500 Go SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe

And some commands outputs (from PopOS 21.04):
Code:
uname -r
5.11.0-7633-generic

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel TigerLake GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] driver: i915 v: kernel
           Device-2: Chicony HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting
           unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1: 1440x900~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.1

sudo lshw -c video
*-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: TigerLake GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 01
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=2880x1800 visual=truecolor xres=2880 yres=1800
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:153 memory:601c000000-601cffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff memory:4010000000-4016ffffff memory:4020000000-40ffffffff

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation TigerLake GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:9a49] (rev 01)
    DeviceName: Onboard - Video
    Subsystem: Tongfang Hongkong Limited Iris Xe Graphics [1d05:1105]

I don't really know which potential fixes I should start with therefore any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NOTE: I also have W10 installed along side PopOS and W10 is working fine.

gavinlive

I have just purchased a fusion studio and have the exact same issue. I really don't want to be restricted to using windows

gavinlive

I've noticed that using keyboard only, the screen flickering is much less severe although still present. I also tested the latest LTS lubuntu.

VadBer

Hi,

Same for me.
But to me it is more a workaround than a proper fix as it does not allow to control screen brightness and does not provide full capacity of the graphic chip.

Aside from this:
- I am also not able to recover from deep sleep
- If not in deep sleep mode, sleep drains a LOT of battery
- Upon starting I am getting the following message:
Code:
dpc rp pio log size 0 is invalid

Are you also facing those issues?

Vadim

davidi

Same issue here (14" Fusion Studio with Ubuntu). Safe mode works but screen brightness is non-adjustable (it seems to be at maximum, which is very bright indoors). I see the same start up error too.

davidi

Not yet here - I'm still looking. I've verified that the same problem exists in stock Ubuntu 21.10.

One thing I know is that Tuxedo Computers sell the identical chassis with a choice of Tuxedo OS or Ubuntu, so it must be possible. I'm going to try Tuxedo's WebFAI installer next and see if that works.

gavinlive

Not yet here - I'm still looking. I've verified that the same problem exists in stock Ubuntu 21.10.

One thing I know is that Tuxedo Computers sell the identical chassis with a choice of Tuxedo OS or Ubuntu, so it must be possible. I'm going to try Tuxedo's WebFAI installer next and see if that works.
Oh nice! Did the WebFAI installer work in the end? :)

I'm super keen to get this working.

gavinlive

So one way to test could be to use the Ubuntu boot loader to change the boot parameters, adding in the following option:
i915.enable_psr=0

And if you want to change it permanently, go to `/etc/default/grub` and change `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT` to include the above option. Once that's done, regenerate the GRUB file:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

davidi

I did create a Tuxedo's WebFAI USB stick but it hung during boot - possibly there is a crucial difference in configuration between the Fusion Studio and the InfinityBook which Tuxedo haven't tested.

Disabling PSR with i915.enable_psr=0 worked like a charm though, thank you! I now have it booting without nomodeset. No flickering during mouse movement and screen brightness can be adjusted, also suspend is working properly. Excellent!

VadBer

Hi all,
Sorry for the very late reply. I had no time trying more fixes so I sticked to W10 for a few months.
I just tried to disable PSR and so far it is fine. Thanks a lot!
For people no using grub, you need to use the following:
sudo echo "options i915 enable_psr=0" >> /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
Again thanks for the fix.