Future Marketing - Intel vs AMD

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just watching one of GN's latest videos here:

It's an interesting watch for many reasons - but it got me thinking - where will the marketing of both AMD and Intel go in the future?

I still find the locked and unlocked CPU strategy of Intel frustrating and almost patronising in some ways - as you clearly become nothing more than a victim of the Intel money making machine no matter which version you buy - but then an argument could be made that the AMD strategy of unlocking everything actually just means that those who just want plug and play stock options are in fact paying a subsidy for their more-likely-to-tweak cousins.

I'm not talking about the performance difference here between the two offerings however, AMD have the clear lead of course and the 11th Gen Intel fiasco has only served to enhance AMD's position in that regard.

But the above video leaves me wondering if Intel are realising that they need to up their game in all areas if they are to slow the shifting sands. Not just around performance, but in terms of marketing and making the consumer feel like they are more in control. What I love about AMD over Intel is that the buying options seem more clear cut and easier to sift through to find a match for your needs. Will an imminent new AMD platform and socket muddy the waters? Will Intel find a AMD like way to rebrand their offerings and convert those on the fence?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just watching one of GN's latest videos here:

It's an interesting watch for many reasons - but it got me thinking - where will the marketing of both AMD and Intel go in the future?

I still find the locked and unlocked CPU strategy of Intel frustrating and almost patronising in some ways - as you clearly become nothing more than a victim of the Intel money making machine no matter which version you buy - but then an argument could be made that the AMD strategy of unlocking everything actually just means that those who just want plug and play stock options are in fact paying a subsidy for their more-likely-to-tweak cousins.

I'm not talking about the performance difference here between the two offerings however, AMD have the clear lead of course and the 11th Gen Intel fiasco has only served to enhance AMD's position in that regard.

But the above video leaves me wondering if Intel are realising that they need to up their game in all areas if they are to slow the shifting sands. Not just around performance, but in terms of marketing and making the consumer feel like they are more in control. What I love about AMD over Intel is that the buying options seem more clear cut and easier to sift through to find a match for your needs. Will an imminent new AMD platform and socket muddy the waters? Will Intel find a AMD like way to rebrand their offerings and convert those on the fence?
I haven’t watched the video yet, but GN are great and extremely impartial to either so I’ll trust their viewpoints on it.

AMD have certainly upped the cost of CPUs since they’ve hit the performance crown, BUT certainly not as significantly as intel when you factor in board and cooler required at the same performance point. AMD are still significantly better value aside from performance.

But AMD have always been more consumer focussed, they have a history of fighting for the customer that intel never had.

As an example, Intel have their thermal boost which is the maximum potential boost for about a nano second IF the chip is cool enough. That’s widely regarded as their peak speed even though more often than not it’s not remotely achievable. On the flip side, with 5000 series AMD, their peak boosts were under reported and 3rd party reviews almost unanimously found that they were able to achieve more.

BUT, I don’t think either Intel or AMD are the ones to watch, I fully believe Apple are the ones to watch out for in the headline space, and they put both companies pricing policies to shame.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I haven’t watched the video yet, but GN are great and extremely impartial to either so I’ll trust their viewpoints on it.

AMD have certainly upped the cost of CPUs since they’ve hit the performance crown, BUT certainly not as significantly as intel when you factor in board and cooler required at the same performance point. AMD are still significantly better value aside from performance.

But AMD have always been more consumer focussed, they have a history of fighting for the customer that intel never had.

As an example, Intel have their thermal boost which is the maximum potential boost for about a nano second IF the chip is cool enough. That’s widely regarded as their peak speed even though more often than not it’s not remotely achievable. On the flip side, with 5000 series AMD, their peak boosts were under reported and 3rd party reviews almost unanimously found that they were able to achieve more.

BUT, I don’t think either Intel or AMD are the ones to watch, I fully believe Apple are the ones to watch out for in the headline space, and they put both companies pricing policies to shame.
Yes I hadn't really factored in the Apple contingent and that will be really interesting to watch over the next period of rime.

AMD will be really interesting too I think - fighting for the customer is the oldest trick in the book for an underdog - now I'm not accusing them of being tricksters or antyhing of the sort - but if they market share continues to grow as rapidly as it has been then it will be a fun balance to sit and watch!

Of course Intel still have 80% of the market in the pocket so it is their to lose, but they have gained some points back ironically as the result of the demand for AMD parts outstripped supply. But AMD will remain the flash in the pan in many Intel die-hards eyes - and if Intel can get a marketing machine that is actually worth their salary (and don't make massive blunders like the entire 11th Gen release bar the 11400K) then AMD could have a mountain to climb.

Perhaps that will give Apple the open door they need They could walk by the fighting cats in the corner at take centre stage....

D

Deleted member 41971

what I find cool is there is competition between amd, intel and apple, which can only be good for consumers as all three are pushing their respective products to gain consumers attention.

Ash_

Master Poster
Yes I hadn't really factored in the Apple contingent and that will be really interesting to watch over the next period of rime.

AMD will be really interesting too I think - fighting for the customer is the oldest trick in the book for an underdog - now I'm not accusing them of being tricksters or antyhing of the sort - but if they market share continues to grow as rapidly as it has been then it will be a fun balance to sit and watch!

Of course Intel still have 80% of the market in the pocket so it is their to lose, but they have gained some points back ironically as the result of the demand for AMD parts outstripped supply. But AMD will remain the flash in the pan in many Intel die-hards eyes - and if Intel can get a marketing machine that is actually worth their salary (and don't make massive blunders like the entire 11th Gen release bar the 11400K) then AMD could have a mountain to climb.

Perhaps that will give Apple the open door they need They could walk by the fighting cats in the corner at take centre stage....
11400F 😜 can be had with a board and cooler, for less than a 5600 - which is crazy

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
11400F 😜 can be had with a board and cooler, for less than a 5600 - which is crazy
Yes it is.

It's also such a shame that price is solely what will drive consumers towards it - it's a great performance for the madly low price, but the thermals are still absolutely awful and the lowest end Ryzen 3rd Gen still makes it look like a lemon

But it will still sells in multiples of millions I expect all based on sticker price!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes it is.

It's also such a shame that price is solely what will drive consumers towards it - it's a great performance for the madly low price, but the thermals are still absolutely awful and the lowest end Ryzen 3rd Gen still makes it look like a lemon

But it will still sells in multiples of millions I expect all based on sticker price!
But only for extreme entry level 1080p 75Hz systems. While there are a number of then, it's purely starter systems. Anyone with a anything other than extreme low end budget, or anyone slightly older will always choose far more performance than that.

Ash_

Master Poster
Yes it is.

11400F isn’t a bad performer. It is aimed at entry level. So probably matched with a 1650 or something

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Yes all true I suppose lads. Intel annoys me so much lately that I just want to rip all their posters off the walls I suppose.... :confused: