Future Proof Gaming PC Spec - £1000 to Spend

MadNotMad

Hi All

Just wondered if someone would mind looking over the spec I've come up with and giving me their thoughts, am looking for a (relatively) future proof gaming PC and I've got £1000 to spend, however it's been a few years since I've been in the market for a new rig so would be great to get some feedback. Have done a bit of research on processors and graphics cards, am open to ideas though. Only fixed requirement is need to have wireless networking option, will pinch the speakers from my old PC as well as they're still in pretty good shape! One query I do have though is the PSU, having looked at other specs, am thinking maybe I need a 600W unit?

Cheers in advance

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK FUSION CASE inc. 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache)
Motherboard
ASUS® P7H55D-M EVO: MICRO ATX, USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0GB/s
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£149)
Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Wireless Desktop® MK250 Keyboard and Mouse Combo (£19)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

Price: £981.00 including VAT and delivery.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
am thinking maybe I need a 600W unit?

If future proof is your aim (love that term, doesnt exist in the world of PC's!) then you are definately going to be better off with a 600w PSU, as i keep bleeting on in my opinion is the minimum for a gaming rig you want to last.

Also consider a swap to the GTX 460 as its about the same price but gives better performance.

Meds

Hey,

The specification looks ok but there are certain aspects I would consider changing;

- Case - the fusion is the most basic of basic cases with pretty poor airflow, it's aimed towards home/office use to be honest with you. I would recommend taking a look at the CoolerMaster Elite 310 or the CM690 Advanced. Either or would suit the cooling requirements for the specification you have put together.

- GPU - the 5850 is a good choice but I would consider the cheaper and very similar GTX460 - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/07/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-460-graphics-card-review/9

- PSU - regardless of what GPU you go for, I would recommend a Corsair TX650 PSU.

- HDD - with the size of todays games, a 250GB HDD is pretty small - you can probably get a 500GB HDD for around £5 - £10 extra!

Last edited by a moderator:

MadNotMad

Thanks for the help guys, def going with the Case, PSU and HDD ideas, still deciding on the GPU, was convinced the 5850 was the way forward but read a few more reviews of the GTX460 today and it seems much better value for money, and at the monitor res I'm getting the 5850 seems a bit over the top??? Perhaps a few more hours deciding time... :)

LDUK

Master Poster
Meds is in the right place here. Take a look at that advise, I approve entirely.