Future proofing query

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing the following spec, for a bit of gaming, but also heavy photoshop and video editing. I'm an IT professional, very capable of building my own PC but I wouldn't even want to entertain building a custom cooling loop! As the hard tubing is cut and tailored to the GPU, is this an over-kill and very expensive way of restricting any future upgrade plans? Perhaps I've seen too many YouTube videos, but acrylic or PETG tubing looks so damn good! I don't want to spend over £3k though and then run into issues further down the line in a couple of years when the GPU wants replacing. Thanks in advance.

Case CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE

Custom Liquid Cooling Kit Liquid Series RGB Mid Kit - EK

Tubing Clear Hardline PETG Tubing (Bent/Black Fittings)

Coolant Colour EK-CryoFuel White

LED Lighting 50cm White LED Strip

Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-10850K 10 Core (3.6GHz @ up to 5.0GHz)

Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) -

ARGB Ready

Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card 10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP

1st Storage Drive 4TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR |

530MB/sW)

1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R,

3300MB/W)

Power Supply CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT

steaky360

Hi @mossmotorsport - if you'd like advice on the components it would be helpful if you could include the link to configure the PC (its at the bottom of the post to forum page of the configurator). Also how much the above came too will be good info :)

The short answer though, is yes, a custom loop will make it very restrictive when trying to upgrade in the future, basically unless the new components require the loop to be installed in exactly the same place, you will need to replace the tubes (PCS can help with this however) but its obviously additional expense. There is also increased maintenance requirements for a custom/open loop vs the closed loop alternatives.