Galaxy s4 vs Htc one .... decisions decisions ...

Bsrz

Rising Star
SO I have been looking at starting up a new mobile phone contact and the two main phone as the title suggests are the htc one and the galaxy s4, question is which one is better. in terms of performance the galaxy s4 is a little ahead but in terms of build quality the htc one smashes the galaxy how ever I do like the galaxy design. its such a hard choice, any suggestions ideas?? this will be my first android phone as I have for the past god knows how many years been an apple fan boy and bought ever apply phone under the sun.

also anything I need to know about android or the phones before I jump into a 24 month contact? I think one of the main things swinging me towards the galaxy is the availability of the tech 21 case for it :/

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I'm in the exact same dilemma, thought about the iphone 5/5s as I've always had android but realistically they're just far too poor on paper to be a viable candidate now. I know they still perform fine and 'look cool' but they're far too expensive for what they are.

Between the HTC and the Galaxy, I think it mainly comes down to looks or performance. The Galaxy will feel a bit cheaper but has the option of removable battery and adding an SD card, etc. It also performs better on paper... However they're practically neck and neck and the HTC does look and apparently feel a lot better so I don't think you can really go wrong with either phone, perhaps go into a shop and have a look at what feels better to you? I remember when the S3 first came out I had a go on one and I hated the Home button as they'd made it super thin. Little things like that can make or break a phone in my opinion and they're things that you really need to be hands on to appreciate. Quite a lot of phone shops/PC Worlds will have their best phones turned on to have a play with as well :)

kruppsy

Master
HTC One. Obviously biased as I own one but its an awesome thing. I road tested the S3 & Xperia Z along side it and it blew them away on style and performance. Not had a play with the S4 so can't comment there, but Im still very happy with my decision after 6 months use.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I was looking at the HTC One and the S4 then the Xperia Z1 came out and i went for that.

Personally if we are sticking to these 2 i would have picked the HTC One over the Samsung.

Running an AnTuTu Benchmark shows that the HTC One outperforms the S4

Here's a screen shot showing the top results compared to my device.

Hope this gives you a bit of info that's of use.

Screenshot_2013-10-08-10-25-53.jpg

rickne

Master Poster
The HTC one camera is pants. The S4 cam isnt great but miles better. The performance is higher and has expandable memory. HTC is a dying brand.

kruppsy

Master
The HTC one camera is pants.

Don't hold back rick! :D

I think it depends on what type of shot you take. Landscape shots, I agree, can look poor as it focuses detail on one point of the picture, the rest loses definition. Medium/close portraits look stunning however, I haven't seen better. Non expandable memory is an issue if you store lots of stuff on your phone, I don't, so again doesn't bother me. Dying brand...we'll see I guess...you're only as good as your last phone and as the One topped a lot of the 'Top 10' lists i think they'll be ok for now.

rickne

Master Poster
The difference here is you either take the top tech available right now , or you don't. It really does boil down to that. And the S4 chip supersedes the Ones.

sunpider-bench.jpg

(lower scores are better in Sunspider)

antutu-bunch.jpg

(higher scores are better in AnTuTu)

The S4 will have the power to hold on a year down the line where as the HTC one will show its age first.

kruppsy

Master
Wo hold on, separating equipment?

I'll need bigger pockets.

:)

Buy a man bag dude :)

The difference here is you either take the top tech available right now , or you don't. It really does boil down to that. And the S4 chip supersedes the Ones.

The S4 will have the power to hold on a year down the line where as the HTC one will show its age first.

I can't argue with the benchmarks mate. I do think you should look at the package as a whole though when picking a winner...maybe the S4 still comes out on top, it'll vary person to person.

I did think about waiting for the S4 but primarily went against it as I didn't want a belly button phone.

Rack

Enthusiast
As an owner of the s4, I only have one regret, which is that I got a black one not a red one. The phone is smooth, battery life is awesome compared to my 4s. Most of the features are gimmicks though. Also the screen is very nice to watch ee movies on (if you go with them of course).

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I had a man bag before Jack Bauer.

Just saying.

I mean I'm not saying I'm a badass, no-holds hero like Jack Bauer.

No, wait, that is exactly what I am saying.

Wait, how did we get here? :D

Bsrz

Rising Star
Awesome advice all thanks a lot!!
think I will pop down to a phone shop tomorrow and have a feel for what the phones will be like.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Oh how forgetful of me! Come on people, we are on page 2 and no one has posted the required.

Neither. Get this:

nokia_3310-11586.jpg

Bsrz

Rising Star
so I just got back from the phone shops had a look at the galaxy s4, the htc one and the sony z1.

the sony z1 was amazing, but just to big and bulky, the htc one was very nice looking but it was heavy and limited to 32gb :/ - not something you could go running with - the galaxy s4 however was light, it was lightning fast, it was packed with features and could accept the 64gb sd card. the s4 was the overall winner out of the three. the only question I have now before I commit to the contract and I should of asked this in store at the time - what happens after I have paid my £32 a month for 24 months? does the contact just end do I get a new phone and keep the galaxy??? any ideas?? thanks!!

Rack

Enthusiast
You go into the store and say that you want to cancel/upgrade your contract at the end of the 24 months. If you upgrade, you can get a new phone and you keep the one that you had previously.