Gaming & 3D design PC

ricbul

Hi,

was just wondering if I could have some feed back on a spec that I have rustled up for gaming and design work.

Case COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE (£159) - example - want Raidmax Skyline....
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, INTEL X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 40GB Intel® X25-V 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 170MB/sR | 35MB/sW)
1st Hard Disk Partitions 40GB
2nd Hard Disk 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk Partitions 500GB, 500GB
RAID (HDD 1 & 2) NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£59)
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Monitor IIYAMA E2472HD 24" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£179)
2nd Monitor IIYAMA E2472HD 24" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£179)

Gaming - varying games.

Design - programmes such as 3DS max, solidworks 2010 - 2011, photoshop, flash......

Eyefinity is a definite preference, not just for gaming but when modelling large projects etc – also to run 3 designs programs in each screen. From what I read you only need one card for 3 monitor Eyefinity, I am correct in saying this? And is the 5870 suitable for this task? a third monitor will be purchased at a later date

I’m having trouble getting hold of the case I want its called raidmax skyline...but the damn thing doesn’t seem to exist over here in the UK. I do like the Raidmax eclipse so if i canfind that somewhere ill may go for that instead

Any feedback will be much appricated!

Many thanks

Ric

Sleinous

Author Level
Processor: Spot on
GPU: Spot on, but if you intend to add a 2nd later that PSU won't be enough.
PSU: OK for now, but biggest pain to upgrade in the future, would recommend TX850
CPU Cooling: Maybe a little OTT, Titan Fen would be enough
HDD: I'd recommend the WD1002FAEX 64mb cache Sata 6GB/s, seeinga s its only a tiny bit more, has larger cache and faster speed (yes I know you have an SSD but for a few more pounds its worth it).
Monitors: Fine

steveuk87

Super Star
yeah i'd say the same but for now its a good rig that should last!! the eco is a sound cooling unit!!

Steve

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums ricbul :)

The specification you have selected looks great, however, none of the ATi cards we list will support eyefinity be dafault. We can source one for you if required, but it will cost a little more, perhaps £20 - £30.

You would also then need a monitor that supports Display Port, or alternatively buy an adapter to convert the signal to DVI, which will cost around £20.

We can't source the RaidMAX cases for you unfortunately, but if you can get hold of one and send it to us, we'll build your system into it for you :)

ricbul

Thankyou for the speedy replies!

So the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 has two versions? 1. DirectX 11 and 2. DirectX 11 & Eyefinity?

am I right in saying that the card I have chosen has 2 DVI ports, 1 HDMI port and one display port? as in a review I read the other day. In the review they were raving about eyefinity which implies they were rocking 2 montiors on the DVI's and 1 on the HDMI - if that's possible, or using a display port like so say the monitors will need.

Again am I right saying the Iiyama e2472hd montior has all three outputs (VGA, DVI & HDMI) ? would it be possible to put 2 montiors in the DVI's and one on HDMI... I do apologies for seeming ignorant on the matter hehe

Thing is with picking my own case is knowing if the spec I have chosen will fit in the case : S...but i shall keep hunting around and post back if i find one i want, and if it could be determined whether the parts will fit that be excellent.

ricbul

Ok update on spec

Case Eclipse Black ATX Gaming Case (as above)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, INTEL X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 Eyefinity Edition
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 40GB Intel® X25-V 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 170MB/sR | 35MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£59)
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£100)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)
Sound Card Sound Blaster® Audigy™ SE (£25) still deciding about if i should get a sound card or not
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Monitor IIYAMA E2472HD 24" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£179)
2nd Monitor IIYAMA E2472HD 24" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£179)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Thankyou for the speedy replies!

So the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 has two versions? 1. DirectX 11 and 2. DirectX 11 & Eyefinity?

am I right in saying that the card I have chosen has 2 DVI ports, 1 HDMI port and one display port? as in a review I read the other day. In the review they were raving about eyefinity which implies they were rocking 2 montiors on the DVI's and 1 on the HDMI - if that's possible, or using a display port like so say the monitors will need.

None of the ATi cards we list will support eyefinity be default. We can source one for you if required, but it will cost a little more, perhaps £20 - £30. The 5870 cards we currently stock will have 2 x DVI and 1 x HDMI, but I will need to check about whether they have a display port. We can supply an eyefinity card if requested, but the default one you can configure on our website does not support eyefinity.

Again am I right saying the Iiyama e2472hd montior has all three outputs (VGA, DVI & HDMI) ? would it be possible to put 2 montiors in the DVI's and one on HDMI... I do apologies for seeming ignorant on the matter hehe

The monitor does have HDMI, DVI and D-Sub inputs. For eyefinity you have to make use of a display port, so you would need a monitor that supports Display Port, or alternatively buy an adapter to convert the signal to DVI, which will cost around £20. Then you could use 2 x DVI and 1 x HDMI.

Thing is with picking my own case is knowing if the spec I have chosen will fit in the case : S...but i shall keep hunting around and post back if i find one i want, and if it could be determined whether the parts will fit that be excellent.

Generally there are no issues when customers send us their own case, but we cannot guarantee this until we come to assemble your order, If there are any problems we will contact you and you can amend your order around the case.

ricbul

Thank you things are alot clearer now : )

Think i've finalised my spec also, so will be placing the order this week hopefully!

Big thanks to you all for helping my out!

Ric