Gaming build? Good enough?

TiaBar

Well now i dont know if i should cancel or not, anyway the price of my order was agreed before the end of 2020 inc VAT and delivery so it would make no sense to be overcharged after that.

Blondito

Well now i dont know if i should cancel or not, anyway the price of my order was agreed before the end of 2020 inc VAT and delivery so it would make no sense to be overcharged after that.
That is why I sent an email to hopefully get clarification m8. I am in the same boat. This company provides a much better service than any similar custom builders here in Ireland by some margin. I was so happy to find them and I really hope I can avail of their builds. To be honest it might still be worth any added costs compared to what they build here. Hopefully we can get some clarification. I would not cancel your order until we know m8.

TiaBar

Been thinking, do i really need that 500gb ssd drive, isnt the 2tb ssd enough to carry the OS and most games, since i tend to delete them once im done. Will i lose any performance from running the OS and running games in the same drive? Or from running from another drive that isnt the OS drive? Im trying to save me some pennies to buy a good 1440p monitor to match with the 3070, but i dont really want performance by downgrading the Nvme SSD.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Been thinking, do i really need that 500gb ssd drive, isnt the 2tb ssd enough to carry the OS and most games, since i tend to delete them once im done. Will i lose any performance from running the OS and running games in the same drive? Or from running from another drive that isnt the OS drive? Im trying to save me some pennies to buy a good 1440p monitor to match with the 3070, but i dont really want performance by downgrading the Nvme SSD.
Having only one storage drive is a performance limitation - because it induces queueing for the drive. However, compromises always have to be made and a decent monitor will benefit you more than two SSDs. In any case, you can always save up for another SSD at a later date. :)

Citrus_9

Expert
The agreed price is between you and a seller, not the government who may apply additional tax. But the government won't know about your goods coming into Ireland until it will actually arrive. To be fair, currently there's very limited information due to on going negotiations. There's no way for retailers to know how much you could be charged by Irish Revenue as retailers are even in another country, and the economical relationship between the Uk and ROI may soon end up similar as between Australia or Canada, or the US. If you buy something on ebay from the US, a retailer won't show you additional import tax as they aren't obliged to collect it (as VAT for example), a delivery company in ROI would collect this tax before delivering your item. There are a few articles in RTE and the Irish times about this.

Last edited:

Blondito

The agreed tax is between you and a seller, not the government who may apply additional tax. But the government won't know about your goods coming into Ireland until it will actually arrive. To be fair, currently there's very limited information due to on going negotiations. There's no way for retailers to know how much you could be charged by revenue as retailers are even in another country, and the economical relationship between the Uk and ROI may soon end up similar as between Australia or Canada, or the US. If you buy something on ebay from the US, a retailer won't show you additional import tax as they aren't obliged to collect it (as VAT for example), a delivery company in ROI would collect this tax before delivering your item. There are a few articles in RTE and the Irish times about this.
Thanks for the info. Yes, we are all in limbo here with confusing and conflicting information out there. I have decided to go ahead and purchase my build tomorrow even though it won't arrive until January 2021. This company provides too good of a service and their history and longevity speaks for itself. I am willing to take a hit on anything that my country puts on the import.
This is a really supportive and helpful community. :)

TiaBar

I was checking my order and isnt the OS a bit expensive, does it affect my build in any way if i just remove the OS instalation and do it myself when i receive my system via USB pen?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I was checking my order and isnt the OS a bit expensive, does it affect my build in any way if i just remove the OS instalation and do it myself when i receive my system via USB pen?
And where are you going to purchase the version on your usb pen from............................

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you have a legitimate copy of W10 then select No OS required, PCS have a version they use for testing as they are microsoft partners

TiaBar

Im really struggling to decide if i should have a dedicated m2 ssd drive just for the OS or if the 2TB is enough for everything, its unlikely i will ever fill the space with games. Is there even really a performance decrease from only having the 2 TB SSD drive to use with everything, OS, Programs and Games? I have a spare 256gb 2.5 SATA SSD from my old setup to use just in case.

Ash_

Master Poster
Im really struggling to decide if i should have a dedicated m2 ssd drive just for the OS or if the 2TB is enough for everything, its unlikely i will ever fill the space with games. Is there even really a performance decrease from only having the 2 TB SSD drive to use with everything, OS, Programs and Games? I have a spare 256gb 2.5 SATA SSD from my old setup to use just in case.
I believe the idea is... an ssd is considerably more expensive per MB of storage. The OS really needs to be on an SSD, but 100gb games etc not so much, so the cheaper HDD makes more financial sense. Also i heard about SSD’s are more prone to catastrophic failure, although i have never had any issues with them.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
i heard about SSD’s are more prone to catastrophic failure, although i have never had any issues with them.
It isn’t failure, per se, it’s write endurance. An SSD of any kind will have a maximum amount of program/erase cycles before becoming unreliable. A HDD will also give up over time but there are tell tale signs with a hard disk and that usually gives you enough time to be able to get your data backed up or moved onto another medium. Not so with a SSD, when they go, they go fast.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It isn’t failure, per se, it’s write endurance. An SSD of any kind will have a maximum amount of program/erase cycles before becoming unreliable. A HDD will also give up over time but there are tell tale signs with a hard disk and that usually gives you enough time to be able to get your data backed up or moved onto another medium. Not so with a SSD, when they go, they go fast.
Modern SSDs have a MTTF that is broadly equivalent with an HDD. The days of worrying about writes to an SSD are gone. It is true however, that when an HDD fails the data can often be recovered (though it's often an expensive process to do that) whereas when an SSD fails it's gone. That said, it shouldn't be an issue because everyone should be implementing some sort of regular backup strategy - if you're not then you probably deserve to lose all your data.....

Gavras

Master Poster
Modern SSDs have a MTTF that is broadly equivalent with an HDD. The days of worrying about writes to an SSD are gone. It is true however, that when an HDD fails the data can often be recovered (though it's often an expensive process to do that) whereas when an SSD fails it's gone. That said, it shouldn't be an issue because everyone should be implementing some sort of regular backup strategy - if you're not then you probably deserve to lose all your data.....
One of the critical bits about SSD’s and writes is the size of the write and frequency.

in my last job we worked a lot with industrial SSD manufacturers, these beat commercial versions.

We found that a lot of small writes, dramatically shorten the life of an SSD.

So much so that we had a huge rethink on types off SSD, how our OS and game data wrote to SSD’s and were possible changed it.

even changes to wear levelling, NAND type and access etc, meant we had SSD’s failing after 3 years versus HDD 5 - 8 years.

the huge problem with MTBF and MTTF etc, is on the whole, they are mathematically calculated as opposed to real world feed back.

Also Microsoft had to put a fix in to Windows, as their OS was impacting life of SSD’s.

Yes SSD’s have improved but depending how used, worrying about life of them has not.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes SSD’s have improved but depending how used, worrying about life of them has not.
I don't worry about any of my drives, they're all backed up in three places - one of which is the cloud.

IMO it's not sensible to concern oneself with the lifespan of SSDs (or HDDs for that matter) - you know they're going to fail eventually. Get the most appropriate storage drive for your various data types, setup an automatic backup regime that backs up to at least two different places, and then forget about drive lifespans. :)

Gavras

Master Poster
I don't worry about any of my drives, they're all backed up in three places - one of which is the cloud.

IMO it's not sensible to concern oneself with the lifespan of SSDs (or HDDs for that matter) - you know they're going to fail eventually. Get the most appropriate storage drive for your various data types, setup an automatic backup regime that backs up to at least two different places, and then forget about drive lifespans. :)
Yes but there is this industry driven thing about using MTBF / MTTF and then saying an SSD will last say 99 years.

when industrial SSD were first pushed as an option, they came with a 5 year warranty, this then dropped to 3 and for some 2 years.

One of the important bits with SSD’s tends to be writes per day.

one of the bits they rarely mention in calculating MTBF / MTTF is that of the say 1000 sample, 3 are likely to fail within 6 months.

When ever any company mentions MTBF / MTTF, take it with a pinch of salt and see if this is backed up by a long warranty.

”yes Sir it will last 99 years”, ......”but why only 12 months warranty?” .....

Agreed on backups, but also avoid keeping critical information on SSD’s.