Gaming desktop

Darko

ok wait a minute, so the guys who add kingston 1600mhz on i7-950 will have a faulty desktop ? BSOD ?

Sleinous

Author Level
Seems like my questions will never end but looking on the intel website it says the i7-950only supports DDR3-800/1066 memory. This seems to make my 1600Mhz RAM unnecessary, so I might as well downgrade to the Samsung 1333 Mhz standard stuff. Am I right in thinking this?

Actually, they all support way over 2000mhz, its just Intel doesnt officially support over 1066.

1333, 1600mhz RAM will both work fine if XMP is turned on in the BIOS. If youre feeling confident you can even enter teh voltage settings yourself.

Sleinous

Author Level
ok wait a minute, so the guys who add kingston 1600mhz on i7-950 will have a faulty desktop ? BSOD ?

No, you will not, Intel doesnt officially support more than 1066mhz, but it DOES work. They just put some nonsense about voltage limit to the DRAM if i remeber correctly, read it once. It doesnt harm teh system either.

Sleinous

Author Level
The 950 would be more future proof but the 870 would SLI 2x GTX 460s in teh future without any problems, i.e. no bottlenecks.

Darko

lol! whos can wait nowadays!:p i ordered mine and already 2 weeks passed with pre-production status:p