Gaming Headset

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, im searching for a brand new headset with a maximum budget of £150.
I am on Windows and i will not be using the headset for anything other than my PC.
I like to play FPS games and i've never really experienced much with headsets but i think its time for a change.
I want a pin point sound to direct where footsteps are, etc etc.
I have onboard sound card (5.1). So i kind of really want 7.1 surround sound so i guess ill be going for a USB headset.
EDIT : I DONT WANT WIRELESS.
Here are headsets i am currently considering :
1. Logitech G35
2. Razer Megladon
Any other suggestions ?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I use tritton ac pro's very good, but uses optical. trittons site clicky

turtle beaches are good, but i think uses optical as well. website clicky

coolermaster storm has done a new headset, may be usb. I even searched for the link lol

astro's heard good things about these click

razer's megalodons, clicky

Usukane

Gold Level Poster
I have the Logitech G35 headset, it's practically perfect in every way, just like Mary Poppins.

However, I wouldn't recommend them due to a few new releases occasionally having issues with them, Dead Island was one example - it had an awful static sound & it took them a few weeks to patch the issue for the G35s. There have been a couple of less mainstream games that had the same issue, but never released a patch. 99% of top end titles are fine with them, all music & movies are fine, but who's satisfied with 99%? xD

As far as I know, this problem is solely for the G35 headset, so i'm not slating the Logitech line of equips at all. I have a Logitech gaming keyboard which is amazing & the headset in almost all other aspects, is likewise.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
I paid £149.99 for my Tritton AX720's a couple of years ago and they're been great but I don't think they have 7.1 surround sound :/

AX720_header_01.jpg

MeveM

Bright Spark
My problem is that gaming headsets lack bass. My Steelseries Siberia v1 are great in every single way other then the mic is useless, and they're somewhat flimsy. I'm thinking of getting the V2 now since it's the same with some improvements, mic being one.

I keep reading G35 etc, Astro, Tritton etc and somewhere someone always says "but" and it's usually followed by bass and now apparently gaming headsets dont need bass? What kind of statement is that? My siberia headsets bass is amazing when explosions etc are going on around me, and the sound of guns etc is a MASSIVE difference, I can't ever bring myself to spend £150 for headsets that lack bass, but apparently you can hear footsteps better... so I pay an extra £80 to hear footsteps I can already hear 3D in £40-60 better sounding Steelseries headsets?

UndeadJack

Master Poster
My problem is that gaming headsets lack bass. My Steelseries Siberia v1 are great in every single way other then the mic is useless, and they're somewhat flimsy. I'm thinking of getting the V2 now since it's the same with some improvements, mic being one.

I keep reading G35 etc, Astro, Tritton etc and somewhere someone always says "but" and it's usually followed by bass and now apparently gaming headsets dont need bass? What kind of statement is that? My siberia headsets bass is amazing when explosions etc are going on around me, and the sound of guns etc is a MASSIVE difference, I can't ever bring myself to spend £150 for headsets that lack bass, but apparently you can hear footsteps better... so I pay an extra £80 to hear footsteps I can already hear 3D in £40-60 better sounding Steelseries headsets?

Razer Megalodon - Hit the bass cannon....

Jose

I've got the razer megalodon, and I have to say, they are amazing.from WoW to BF3, they are are epic beyond belief

MeveM

Bright Spark
Are the megalodon over ear cups? Or are they resting on the ear? And gotta love it how Razer shows everything in stinking euros, even on the "UK" store website.

MeveM

Bright Spark
So I've decided I'll get myself the Razer Megalodon in Januari, hopefully it's in the januari sale, however, Theres quite a few negative reviews on the headset, but they all point towards the same thing which is a type of software issue where it's not properly windows 7 compatible and causes the headset to reset, or requires you to constantly keep everything on your PC up to date, now these reviews were written early this year or even last year, reviews closer to todays date are all great reviews, could anyone confirm whether these problems have been fixed?

My only complaint with other headsets is the lack of bass, but since people here and reviews, have confirmed that you can boost the bass with the controller (soundcard) you get with it, it sounds perfect for me.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Ooohhh expensive choice mate, what i'd like to know though, how many speakers does it have in each cup? And does it just simulate surround sound

MeveM

Bright Spark
The Razer Megalodon is 7.1, and the soundcard you get with it included in the price is a simple USB controller thing that is plug and play, so you'll automatically get 7.1 suround sound, supposedly has a subwoofer in em as well. You can also swap between 2.0 and 7.1 by clicking a button incase you're listening to music. All reviews for Megalodon is raving about how great it is for everything. After I read that you can alter the bass yourself I was sold, only negative thing was something about the headset having a software issue earlier in the year, but as I said, reviews seem to point towards that problem being fixed.

You also get a hard traveling case for the headset incase you're a LAN'er. I'm a very, very fussy person when it comes to gaming hardware, from headphones to mice etc. and I'm completely sold for these headphones. Gonna wait for the Januari sale and put my Christmas bonus towards the headset, it's a bit pricy but it's apparently worth every penny.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
sounds good, where ever you buy it, have a google for voucher codes, see if you can find a code with 10% off or something, worth a try and only takes a few mins.